Hatchery with the "Best" Saipan Jungle Fowl?? PLEASE READ!!

I had four ideal chicks I bought this spring. They grew to be huge with two of the roosters looking like the saipans and one looking more like a thai game.

The largest rooster was massive but very healthy. All were very friendly and while they dominated the flock, once a pecking order had been established I didnt see issues with excessive fighting.

Sadly the largest rooster actually got killed off by the zone tailed hawks-I was very suprised as I figured he was too big. I lost a remaining rooster and the hen when we had a dramatic cold snap where temps dropped from 60 to the high 20s. The other chickens were fine, but it seemed to have shocked these two and I found them dead. The little hen was laying a bit during the summer, maybe 2-3 eggs a week. They very much liked to free range and that was the only time the hen would lay. Here is the bigs roos pic next to a bantam chick at 3 days.

The remaining roo is very pretty and doesnt show human agression at all. He is only now really showing an interest in breeding hens but is very delicate and not mean to them or rough, even though he is much bigger.

I will be ordering Saipan Jungle Fowl from Cackle Hatchery next spring... I ordered some chicks (not Saipan) from this earlier this year and was very impressed with the health and vitality of the ones I received... Here is a link to their video of their Saipan breeding flock... they seem to look pretty decent and I really love the coloring on the hens.... at $8.35 a chick (Straight Run) it's not too bad of a price (I paid $10.50ea. for my French Black Copper Marans)

Here is a link to a youtube video of their Saipan breeding flock

I know you mentioned your situation with breeders, and you're looking for the best hatchery Saipans, but I must ask, have you considered ordering hatching eggs? They're relatively cheap especially compared to ordering chicks, and although most gamefowl breeders don't do eggs, the ones who do usually have excellent fertility in their eggs. I don't have Saipans, instead I have O-Shamos, but I do offer, like others out there, very nice hatching eggs when the girls are laying.

Course, if you don't have and don't want to purchase an incubator or broody hen, I understand.
smile.png

I would like Shamo or the like hatching eggs.

Hi Gresh,
I am not sure if you already decided on a hatchery or not seeing how this is an old thread but I just recently purchased some Saipan Jungle Fowl From Cackle Hatchery, People
please do not lecture me about the impurities/infirmities of hatchery stock: I am well aware of them. Mine are due to ship out March 14th 2018, I am so excited. Cackle is extremely well maintained when it comes to bird husbandry and they try to keep excellent stock and they do have show quality birds you just have to ask. That being said I will let you know or others if they would like how the birds come and how they are health wise upon arrival. They are quite knowledgeable when it comes the breeds of birds that they specialize in and they answered all questions I had with accurate responses to the best of the their abilities. If it were me, I'd go with Cackle seeing as how they try and answer all questions accurately and have really nice stock and even make sure that their breeds are up to NPIP, APA standards. Definitely would check them out and order from them if I were in your position.

Hi Gresh,
I am not sure if you already decided on a hatchery or not seeing how this is an old thread but I just recently purchased some Saipan Jungle Fowl From Cackle Hatchery, People
please do not lecture me about the impurities/infirmities of hatchery stock: I am well aware of them. Mine are due to ship out March 14th 2018, I am so excited. Cackle is extremely well maintained when it comes to bird husbandry and they try to keep excellent stock and they do have show quality birds you just have to ask. That being said I will let you know or others if they would like how the birds come and how they are health wise upon arrival. They are quite knowledgeable when it comes the breeds of birds that they specialize in and they answered all questions I had with accurate responses to the best of the their abilities. If it were me, I'd go with Cackle seeing as how they try and answer all questions accurately and have really nice stock and even make sure that their breeds are up to NPIP, APA standards. Definitely would check them out and order from them if I were in your position.

My order is set to ship out on April 20th... I ordered 10 of them... please keep us informed as to how yours turn out and if they made the trip okay. Thanks for posting and keeping this thread alive!

My order is set to ship out on April 20th... I ordered 10 of them... please keep us informed as to how yours turn out and if they made the trip okay. Thanks for posting and keeping this thread alive!
Hi yes I will keep you updated and posted :) I was intrigued by how many others had questions regarding this breed and so I wanted to share my knowledge with others. I will post pictures and let everyone know how they are doing as well. I ordered Cackle's least amount able to be purchased which was 15 (non-sexed) chicks. I also have a youtube channel where I show pictures of my birds, it's called country cluckers. I'm happy others like yourself are still active on this thread I'm excited to be able to share my experiences with this unique breed. where did you order your chicks from? and please keep me informed on how your chicks are doing. :) I'm super thrilled because mine will be here in 3 days!! :D I cannot wait. .lol

Last edited:
20180316_090356.jpg
Mine arrived today! But there was supposed to be 15 chicks, they sent 10 because there wasn't a good hatch rate. Even though Cackle Hatchery shorted my chick order I'd still recommend them because they are reimbursing me for the 5 that couldn't be sent. My Saipan Jungle Fowl chicks arrived healthy, energetic, vibrant, full of wild spirit. They do act somewhat aggessive towards eachother. .I had one of mine grab the other's leg and literally shake it like a dog does to a chew toy, I gently moved the chick over to their food tray and made a cluck sound and pointed to the food, the little chick immediately began eating. So I also heard stress can also cause this behavior as well so watch your chickens, also being too hot can cause this as well and or being hungry.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom