Hatchery workers?/ Advise for fumigating GQF

luckydux

Chirping
7 Years
Oct 18, 2012
ARKANSAWWW!!
I'm hopeful that a few on here have or maybe still do work at a hatchery and have had a hand in the fumigation process. I'm about to fumigated a GQF cabinet but I want to make sure I'm not missing something. I feel silly asking because I'm pretty sure I understand the instructions but I'd feel better KNOWING.

The info that I've been reading for the process is to close the ventilators before proceeding. It seems all the info I can find is directed at hatchery personnel. Are these ventilators the same thing as the air holes on the sides and back of my GQF? I'm assuming the hatcheries have huge intake's/exhaust on their bators.

It just dawned on me that folks involved in the commercial biz may not be allowed to raise a small flock of personal birds so please send me a PM if that happens to be an issue.

I'm hopeful that a few on here have or maybe still do work at a hatchery and have had a hand in the fumigation process. I'm about to fumigated a GQF cabinet but I want to make sure I'm not missing something. I feel silly asking because I'm pretty sure I understand the instructions but I'd feel better KNOWING.

The info that I've been reading for the process is to close the ventilators before proceeding. It seems all the info I can find is directed at hatchery personnel. Are these ventilators the same thing as the air holes on the sides and back of my GQF? I'm assuming the hatcheries have huge intake's/exhaust on their bators.

I am assuming you will be using something similar to oxine with the citric acid in a fogger?...

If so I would make sure the room where the incubator is being fumigated have plenty of air exchange since the fumigation can easily impact anyone who may be in the room.. I would also make sure that no children or pets are in the room when the fumigation process is going on..

ok.. the commercial incubators and hatchers DO have intake and exhaust which would be the ventilators.. or vents in the case of the home incubators.. so yes the vents / air holes would need to be closed but only during the fumigation process...
The idea is to keep the chemicals INSIDE the incubator / hatcher for the recommended time.. by closing the vents you can do that.. once you are done the vents would need to be opened to allow for fresh air exchange

When we fumigated the hatchers and incubators at the hatcheries where I worked only authorized people could be in the room (while wearing respirators) to set up the fumigators.. then once the fumigators were working EVERYONE had to leave the room until the process was complete.. after that the authorized person could go back in (with a respirator on) and open back up vents and allow the incubator rooms to air out before any other workers were permitted back in..

Thanks yinepu but I'm actually using permanganate and formalin. I've been chatting via pm with a helpful soul but your response is very appreciated as well..so thank you!

Back
Top Bottom