Hatches around the 23rd?

Technically I have 3 going right now. One has 13 duck eggs in it. One has the silkies, quail, frizzles and ameracaunas in it. The other has more ducks and the lakenvelders will go in that one. Thank goodness I have an empty one, cause I have ducks due the 10th and 12th, quail due the 12th, and frizzles and seramas due the 13th! Then the blues, silkies and lakenvelders are all due to hatch 2 days apart!! I wasn't planning very well when I got those eggs!
lau.gif

ETA: My son wants his own incy since I won't let him play with the babies all the time! Oh, and I should be getting button eggs any day now, so I'll have to check them for fertility right? Maybe I'll just toss some in with my swap eggs and let someone else test them for me!
gig.gif

Last edited:
I just candled my silkie eggs. Doesn't look good. Out of 20 eggs, I have 9 that are surely developing. There are a few that look questionable, and some that are definite quitters. None of my buffs are developing, which really stinks. Those are the ones I really wanted.
sad.png

None of my quail eggs were fertile. I tossed them the other day
sad.png
I haven't bothered the lakenvelders, ameracaunas, and ducks, since it is still early. I hope those do better than the silkies.

hugs.gif
I'm so sorry....
hugs.gif

How do you know your quail eggs weren't fertile? Did you actually manage to candle them? I'm wondering if I should even try...there are 100 of them in there!
ep.gif
They're due the 25th-26th.

So what do you have left cookin?

I candled my Serama and Golden Seabright eggs at 4 or 5 days. I could see veins in the Serama eggs that were fertile, but I couldn't see through the shell well enough on the SB's. Is this normal? There is a difference between the shells for sure. The Serama's are slick and shiny and the SB's are a bit rougher texture and a flat matte. Is it just the texture difference or are they that much thicker shelled? Do they have trouble hatching? Sorry for all the questions but I'm new to all of this. I thought I would candle them again tonight and see what was going on in there. Thanks for any input.

Quote:
Yeah I did candle them, and they were all clear. There were only 10 from one of my pharoah hens, and evidently the male is not doing his thing yet. I still have all the silkie eggs in there, but only the 9 are for sure good. I have lakenvelders and khaki ducks in a different bator, and ameraucanas in the one with the silkies.

I'm trying my hand at this hatching stuff too lol. My eggs are due late evening on the 28th. I'm just going to say the 29th so I dont get all anxious on the 28th. I have silkies, ameraucanas, and Marans eggs in there now.

Wow!! This thread kind of got buried!! Anyone have updates?

I have 9 silkies that are still going good, and 1 that looks like it may have quit.
The ameracaunas look good from what I can tell. One did have a blood ring, so we'll see how they do.

I'm not sure if I posted updates on the lakenvelders, but out of 12 shipped eggs, 7 of those were scrambled, and did not develop at all. There are 5 left, and one of those looks to have quit.

They are all due within the next week, so we will see how it goes!
fl.gif

ETA: the duck eggs did absolutely nothing, not sure what went on there. They did take longer to get here than normal, and they were getting close to being too old, but I doubt that made them all not develop. Maybe the shipping did them in?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom