1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

hatching a egg with a small hole

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by dadsgirl, Jul 22, 2008.

1. dadsgirl

dadsgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    jay, florida
    has anyone ever tried to hatch a egg that had a small hole in it ?? hen layed and small hole,not sure if she pecked it or it hit the board, covered the hole , just wondering would it hatch?? thanks

2. Wooden_Pony

Wooden_Pony Chillin' With My Peeps

Personally, I would not incubate it. I do not incubate any with cracks or holes bacteria can get into the egg and it will rot. They have been known to explode in incubators as well.

Most of the time they never develope anyways.

3. kellim

kellim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2008
    SC, GA Border
    Just my experience with a cracked egg. I put 2 of them in the bator, I candled them and watched them fully develop....hatch day came and went......I checked them out a day later and they had pipped into the air sac and been exposed to bacteria and died. There was black areas surrounding the little cracks inside the membrane. The chicks were fully developed. Never again will i incubate a cracked egg. Just too big of a risk to the baby.

4. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    I wouldn't do it for the same reason. The shell is there to serve a purpose, and if the shell's damaged it usually doesn't work (from what I've read, never had any hatching experience). hatcheries will punch small holes in the eggs on day 18 or 19 to vaccinate or whatever, but that's when it's about time for the eggs to hatch anyway.

5. penelope77

penelope77 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2008
    northeast oklahoma
    i broke two eggs turning. i watched them and they were alive so i let them stay. i continued to watch them for fear of grossness but they both hatched and were fine till my cat drug them through the chicken wire.:mad: although, i don't do things by the book and my curiosity drives my decisions so i guess i'm reckless!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by