Hatching an egg in a coop?

No. First you need a broody hen. Next, you need enough room in your coop/run for a hen to safely raise chicks. Finally, hatching eggs are super expensive and not very successful under the best of circumstances. If you bought a dozen hatching eggs, you might possibly see 30 - 40% of them hatch, or maybe even none of them would hatch. And chances are that you would have at least 60% of the chicks be cockerels. You would be better off getting day old chicks, or getting local fertile eggs if and when you do get a broody hen.

X2
You can't make a hen sit. The hormones have to be present that tell her she wants to raise a family. And you don't use a single egg. You use a clutch which is several eggs.
A single egg may not hatch and a single chick isn't as good as multiple chicks for several reasons.
My hatches vary dramatically from 30% pullets to 80% pullets. Mostly my hatches are about 2 more pullets than cockerels but maybe I've been lucky. I only remember 2 hatches that were majority cocks.

Last edited:
I wanted to add, a fertile egg won't become a chick unless it is held at 99.5F for 21 days. So a hen would need to sit on the egg around the clock except for a brief foray to defecate, stretch, eat and drink. Depending on ambient temperature, that could be anywhere from 15 minutes to an hour or more and not necessarily every day.

Back
Top Bottom