Hatching baby chicks with Older Chicks

Chickenllady

Chirping
5 Years
Jul 9, 2014
So, I am currently panicking. I have two three-week old chicks, and I laid a couple of other eggs beneath my broody red sex link hen. One egg just hatched, but I was so used to seeing my three week old chicks, that I forgot how tiny they are when they first hatch! I'm scared that one of the three week old chicks will kill one of the new baby chicks, but I'm not sure if they will or not. I've been searching for answers to my problem but so far have nothing. I need a quick answer so I can either separate the three-week old-s or find a way to stop them from hurting each other. If anyone can, please, please, PLEASE help me.

My second question. I was wondering about my Broody hen, she's been broody for over six weeks, and I was wondering how long she'll keep hatching baby chicks? And, In my pen, I already have 16 other chickens and 20 now in total counting the chicks. I'm not sure if I can keep hatching them, and I'm not sure if my rooster will get along with the new chicks. And, We might have a young cockerel in our new batch of chicks. I was wondering about how I can introduce the chicks and the rooster independently in the future, so that there won't be any fights? My nextdoor neighbor told me that it was possible that my rooster might actually father the young cockerel, but I'm doubting it. (this is probably my third question.)

And, I was wondering if it was alright to breed a red sex link and a rhode island red rooster, seeing that they are different breeds... I just wanted to make sure there wasn't going to be anything wrong with them. Thank you for your help, and your advice!

Why aren't you leaving the newly hatched chicks with mom? She will stop setting in a day or so when the eggs stop hatching. Then she will get up and tend to the babies.

Why aren't you leaving the newly hatched chicks with mom? She will stop setting in a day or so when the eggs stop hatching. Then she will get up and tend to the babies.
I am. All of the chicks are with their mother. I'm just worried the chicks that hatched today will be killed by the ones hatched three weeks ago. But The three-week old's are bigger and one is a cockerel, so I'm not sure how the older ones will react.

Yes. I just read on a different site that I should seperate the older ones because they are capable of eating and drinking and providing warmth to themselves now. I seperated the large coop w/ a screen door and it worked! They're doing great. On the left side I have food, water, and a lamp for my baby chick and the mother hen, and on the other side I put food and water for my two older chicks. Is that alright? Or should I do something better?...
D.gif
jumpy.gif

Wow, that seems unusual, but what do I know! Lol! :) I probably wouldn't bother separating them unless there is a reason to, I mixed ages like that in a brooder and it was fine. Also are the older chicks fully feathered and/or sleeping on their own already?

Back
Top Bottom