Hatching Baby Chicks

Obsessed With Silkies

Free Ranging
Jan 15, 2022
Evening everyone! I'm incubating some eggs right now and some are starting to pip. I was wondering how long can I leave a newborn chick in the incubator because I know it's not good to open the incubator lid alot while they're hatching. Thanks everyone!

Evening everyone! I'm incubating some eggs right now and some are starting to pip. I was wondering how long can I leave a newborn chick in the incubator because I know it's not good to open the incubator lid alot while they're hatching. Thanks everyone!
You can leave them in there 24 hours easily. I usually wait until there are two that have hatched and are relatively dry and then take them out in pairs to the brooder. You can do this very quickly without disturbing the other eggs. The humidity is going to be high from the chicks hatching anyway.😊

You can leave them in there 24 hours easily. I usually wait until there are two that have hatched and are relatively dry and then take them out in pairs to the brooder. You can do this very quickly without disturbing the other eggs. The humidity is going to be high from the chicks hatching anyway.😊
I agree , good luck with your hatching! I would love to see some photos when they hatch. :pop

Great thanks! I will be posting pictures!!!❤ One more question, I'm hatching some of these chicks for my neighbor as well and I have divided it with ABC blocks. Is it okay that I open the incubator to fix the row of abc blocks since one of the chicks have hatched and shifted the row over? Thanks again!

Great thanks! I will be posting pictures!!!❤ One more question, I'm hatching some of these chicks for my neighbor as well and I have divided it with ABC blocks. Is it okay that I open the incubator to fix the row of abc blocks since one of the chicks have hatched and shifted the row over? Thanks again!
Yes you can always lift the lid quickly. If you find your humidity dropping you can always throw a damp paper towel in there. You don’t want this touching the eggs though.
Last fall I used embroidery cards that I cut down to size to fit in the incubator and used small zip ties to attach them together. Photo below. This functioned as a kind of cage and contained the individual chicks quite nicely. Just an idea for next time!😊
2D6FAEFD-C18A-4B01-AE05-3CF31158CF8D.jpeg

Yes you can always lift the lid quickly. If you find your humidity dropping you can always throw a damp paper towel in there. You don’t want this touching the eggs though.
Last fall I used embroidery cards that I cut down to size to fit in the incubator and used small zip ties to attach them together. Photo below. This functioned as a kind of cage and contained the individual chicks quite nicely. Just an idea for next time!😊View attachment 2975147

I was wondering how I could keep chicks sorted so that I would know who was who other then setting the hatches separately.

I was wondering how I could keep chicks sorted so that I would know who was who other then setting the hatches separately.
This is the brand that I got, off of Amazon. They are very easily cut down to size. I was afraid they might melt in the heat but I tested them first. I actually got the idea here on BYC.😊
5BD91F9A-FE1C-4B49-BE57-60321032C519.jpeg

Last fall I used embroidery cards that I cut down to size to fit in the incubator and used small zip ties to attach them together. Photo below. This functioned as a kind of cage and contained the individual chicks quite nicely. Just an idea for next time!😊View attachment 2975147
Thanks so much!

Back
Top Bottom