Hatching backward?

TreeRiver

Chirping
6 Years
May 22, 2015
This is day 21! So far, 5 of the 19 eggs are hatched and chicks are doing fine. We have another that has been unzipped for over 4 hours, but the chick is struggling to come out. It looks to me like it is coming out bottom first. I haven't seen a beak, but I know it was used to unzip the correct end. Occasionally in its struggles I can see a foot (maybe? I'm second-guessing myself now) and it seems to be trying to back out of the egg. I've kept the incubator closed, but how much longer should I give it before stepping in? The part that is out is exposed is fluffy and dry.

Can you get a photo of it?
Oh, I thought I attached video. I guess it didn't work. I can't get a good photo now without opening the incubator. I'm afraid the membrane is adhered to the chick since everything outside the egg is dry. Humidity seems good, but it is under the blower and the part I can see is fluffy.

Yes, I've had horrible internet so I hadn't given an update! Right before going to bed we noticed it's movement was dwindling and figured it was going to probably die if we did nothing so we went ahead and tried to help. I used tweezers to remove just a bit more shell then it was able to wriggle free. It looked all healthy, pretty much dry, but exhausted. I think it twisted the wrong way when trying to exit a too-small hole and got completely stuck. This morning everything is fine, and we now have over half the batch hatched. Thank you for your willingness to help out!

Yes, I've had horrible internet so I hadn't given an update! Right before going to bed we noticed it's movement was dwindling and figured it was going to probably die if we did nothing so we went ahead and tried to help. I used tweezers to remove just a bit more shell then it was able to wriggle free. It looked all healthy, pretty much dry, but exhausted. I think it twisted the wrong way when trying to exit a too-small hole and got completely stuck. This morning everything is fine, and we now have over half the batch hatched. Thank you for your willingness to help out!
That's good that you were able to help it out and its doing good :)

sorry that I wasn't a huge help.

Back
Top Bottom