hatching basics question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by choopes, Apr 23, 2017.

1. choopes

choopes Out Of The Brooder

Nov 4, 2010
    my farm South Alabama
    I have 3 layers, but would like a few more. I only get 2 or 3 eggs a day. Would it be best to save some eggs unrefrigerated? I worry about keeping them like this for too long. Another option might be to date the eggs, and put put the newly collected eggs in the incubator daily. What is the best way to do this?
    The last batch I only hatched 5 out of 20, but 2 have issues. Club foot. One died, the other likely won't make it. So I may need like 50-60 to get 5 or 6 adults, only half will be hens. So it could take awhile to get 50-60 eggs. That's a lot.

2. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

You don't need that many eggs, sometimes the mortality rate is higher that average. Hatching eggs can be stored for a week before their chances of developing go down

3. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    First you do not want to put eggs in daily unless you have a second bator to use as a hatcher.
    It sounds like what you need is help improving your incubation methods.
    Collect a week's worth of eggs. Store them in a cool place, turn them 2-3 times a day. What kind of incubator are you using? You absolutely must make sure that your thermometers and hygrometers are accurate. Inaccurate readings can compromise your hatch. Make sure your incubator is running, up to temp and steady before adding the eggs. Do you have a turner? If not they need to be manually turned 3 times a day. Humidity I highly recommend (if you are not in high elevations) to run a low humidity method and monitor air cells to know how to adjust. (I'll give you a link to help with this.) At lockdown, take out turner if you use one. Lay eggs down. If you mark the air cells, this will tell you how to lay them so when they pip it should be facing up. Raise humidity at least 65% I prefer 70-75%.
    When they pip, give them time. It can take 24 hours for them to progress to zipping. Do not rush in to assist early. Assisting before a chick is ready will do more harm than good.

http://letsraisechickens.weebly.com...anuals-understanding-and-controlling-humidity For humidity help

http://hatching411.weebly.com/ Overall hatching help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by