Hatching, but ??s

siouxray

In the Brooder
12 Years
Sep 11, 2007
New York
Well, after our last incubating issue, we decided to try some of our own eggs to see if it was the incubator or not. Anyway, it's day 18 and I took the turner out - well a few hours later a polish cross is hatched. But, it has an 'outie'. Doesn't seem to have any signs of infection but I'm worried since it's so early and it does have an 'outie' . I disinfected everything very well after the last batch (we had a bad batch of eggs
sad.png
) so was hoping everything would go fine. No signs of anybody else hatching yet. Temp. & humidity were okay the whole time. Could anybody have any ideas about any of this? Thanks!!

It said 99.5 on two different therm. though (both new)- could it be the fact that this incubator is thermal instead of circulated?

I know when I started out my whole first hatch had rough navels. I had 3 different thermometers in that batch. Also, I kept adjusting the temp because it would fluctuate a little. I have since learned to have numerous thermometers and to have the incubator set and regulated to the temp it needs to be before adding the eggs and NEVER adjust the temp unless its too high after the chicks have formed in side the egg. Some eggs if they are smaller, or are located closer to the heating element WILL hatch first well before the others. If I use the little styrofoam incubator I always rotate the eggs that are close to the heating element away from it about half way through incubation.

My hatches have been pathetic.. but what I do know is that a still-air incubator (and a forced air to some extent) will have hot and cold spots. Maybe your 18 day egg was in a hot spot, and your thermoms aren't?

Good luck with the rest of your hatch!

Meghan

In a thermo bator you have to be sure you are measuring the temp at the top of the eggs. If the sensor is too low in the bator, the temp will be off. This may be why the temp read lower than it actually is. The early hatch is a sure sign the temps are too high. I would reduce it slightly. I hope the rest of the hatch goes well for you.

Jody

Thank you for your help! Come to think of it (lightbulb moment...), this egg was a bit closer to the heating element than the others. I did have the therms. off to the side but raised up so they must have been in a colder spot. Should the rough navel heal okay? This is our third time hatching and the first two didn't go too well (bacteria from 2nd batch added killed most of them
sad.png
) so I'm really hoping they'll be okay! Thanks again!!

Back
Top Bottom