Hatching Button Quail? *They Hatched**Pictures*

Discussion in 'Quail' started by pen1124, Feb 23, 2012.

1. pen1124

pen1124 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2010
    Long Island
    So i have a pair of button quail that recently started to lay, so i put 7 of her eggs in on February 6th. So according to my counting weren't they due yesterday? There have been no pips to my knowledge. Should i take one out and candle it or should i just leave them in? I've been in lockdown for the past two days with raised humidity, so i don't know whats going on

**Update** Okay great news, I stuck it out like MossyPath said to, and from about 9 last night till 3 this morning everyone was popping out of their shells. It was like corn kernels turning into popcorn to see all these little fluffballs come out

So here are some pictures I just took, they're all still in the incubator at the moment, but i noticed one is colored differently from the others, while most chicks have black on their coats, this one seems to be all yellow, could it be a silver mutation?
    Another question, one chick isn't nearly as active as the others, so should i add sugar water to his water?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Can you see the yellow one in this picyure, sorry my camera refused to focus because of the glare on the incubator

Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  2. mossypath

mossypath Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2012
    ohio
    Try not to mess with them yet. They may start to hatch today .With setting on the 6th if my math is right, 23th today is 17 days. Hope you have chicks soon.[​IMG]

3. iluvsedward

iluvsedward Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2010
    Calvert county MD
    awww :) do they hatch faster then chickens? like,from the time they pip to the time the free themselves ?

4. xchairity_casex

xchairity_casex Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    your yellow chick looks to be a cinnamon silvers are normally a lighter yellow.

the weaker chick i would just let be it will perk up i suspect. and congratz they are cuteies

5. pen1124

pen1124 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2010
    Long Island
    Theyre all fine nw, getting bigger each day, in my opinion these guys took a lot longer from pip to zipping, but once they started zipping theyre out in under three minutes. Theyre just too cute

6. jbobs

jbobs Chillin' With My Peeps

One time I had five little button eggs in the bator and they were 5 DAYS LATE hatching, so i thought yep, they're dead, might as well turn the bator off. So I did and went out for the afternoon and that night as I was getting ready to clean out the bator, I heard peeping! So I plugged the incubator back in and within 30 minutes all five birds hatched and they all looked healthy. I was completely dumbfounded. I must have had some low temps going on but I did not expect them to survive.

7. 9lilchicks

9lilchicks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    Jbobs. Thank You so much for your story. It couldn't have come at a better time. I am waiting for mine to hatch and I am pretty sure I screwed the whole thing up but maybe there's hope? I bought them as a science project for our homeschool but it's taken on a whole new level. I'm so stressed out and feeling terrified that none will hatch and I will have traumatized my children! Well, my brooder box is all set up and ready just in case miracle occurs. Again, Thank you for sharing your amazing story!

8. 9lilchicks

9lilchicks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    [​IMG]
    My OCD is getting the better of me. This is my homemade still-air incubator with my security camera focused on the eggs. I have access from remote locations too so I can check on them while I am out. This is day 15!

9. GrandmaBird

GrandmaBird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2012
    Colorado
    You should move the little ones into a brooder as soon as they are dry. and be sure to place their beak into the water container so they can find it easier. also sprinkle food on the brooder floor for a few days until you are sure they are all eating out of the food dish. nice looking chicks congrats! Be super careful getting the chicks out of the incubator they are really quick. It might be safer to put it on the floor so if one escapes it can not fall to the floor. speaking from experience here. luckily I caught him before he fell more than a couple inches. I had 5 all trying to get out at once!

10. SavageChick

SavageChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2013
    Savage, MN
    Oh man, 9lilchicks, you got me laughing about your venture starting out as a science project that has taken on a whole new level. [​IMG] If you start sewing little outfits for them, then I might get a bit worried about you.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by