hatching call duck eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Ashleyy_x3, Mar 18, 2009.

1. Ashleyy_x3

Ashleyy_x3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    Maine
    alright. so my call duck eggs that i ordered from 2 dif people, one order of 6 and one order of 2, should be coming any day now... and i keep reading about how hard they are to hatch and how they dont fair well at all in shipping and all these things that are making me worry...
    so can someone post some positive experiences they've had with hatching shipped call duck eggs to lessen my worries a little? [​IMG]
    im kin of wishing i wouldnt have ordered them now.. spent like 35$ on 8 eggs...

2. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

First, are they from SQ stock or pet quality stock? Pet quality call ducks are so much easier to hatch than SQ stock. Just keep an eye on them. If they pip the shell, and there is no progress with in 12 hours, I help them out, otherwise they die. Also if they pip the air sac, and havent pipped the shell within around 12 hours, I put a small hole in the top of the shell so they can breathe. I also find better hatch rates if I hatch the call ducks in cartons.

3. Ashleyy_x3

Mar 2, 2009
    Maine
    i think their just pet quality. at least the 6 buff calls are. the 2 white call eggs might be show quality since i pai 20$ for them haha. so stupid now that i look back on it... but yeah. i hear a lot of times they need help hatching. but theres so many things im scared of doing wrong if i have to help them! [​IMG]

4. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    Sundown's website has it all laid out too...bookmark her page with the info and print. post next to your bator. [​IMG]

5. Ashleyy_x3

Mar 2, 2009
    Maine
    thank you for pointing her website out! that was very helpful. i definitely bookmarked it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by