Hatching call ducks

Tyla0603

Hatching
Mar 31, 2020
Hi all im new here lol... havent seen anything about what advice im looking for so thought id ask... im currently hatching some white call ducks and im abit concerned because ive heard and read that they take upto 26/27 days to hatch im on day 25 and i have candled them and can clearly see lots of little movements but cannot see any type of internal pip or anything yet is this normal??? Also i read that calls struggle to make it out of the eggs so there fully developed and dont seem to make it is there anyway i could intervene before this happens and maybe help them out??

I wouldn't worry about no pipping yet. Ducks take forever to hatch. Even after pipping. I have one right now that is 3 days late! No pip but cheeping and movement. As for assisting call ducks I do not know, never hatched them. I have assisted other ducks but in my experience had never ended well. I have done it 4 times in the past and only one needed it. With the other 3 all they needed was more time to finish.

I am in the process of hatching call ducks now. I am on day 28. I am just getting external pips. Don't rush things is my first piece of advice. Keep candling. Once you see an internal pip watch for an external pip. The internal pip is the one where you need to start your timer for a safety hole for these little guys. but do it too soon you can kill them too. 24 hours is usually the mark you want to use. if the air cell is smaller than it should be you might do it a bit sooner. but i try to wait at least 24 hours.

I just put 4 safety holes in 4 out of 14 eggs i saw had internal pipped yesterday around 11am this morning when i woke up. at 2 one of those external pipped. it also depends on what type of stock they came from too. Those out of show stock will need more help than those not.

@MasterOfClucker hatches calls too they might have more advice too.

Hi all im new here lol... havent seen anything about what advice im looking for so thought id ask... im currently hatching some white call ducks and im abit concerned because ive heard and read that they take upto 26/27 days to hatch im on day 25 and i have candled them and can clearly see lots of little movements but cannot see any type of internal pip or anything yet is this normal??? Also i read that calls struggle to make it out of the eggs so there fully developed and dont seem to make it is there anyway i could intervene before this happens and maybe help them out??

Remember, day one starts 24 hours after setting the eggs.

I'll respond later, I'm on my cell phone and dont feel like typing a book with my fat fingers.

Ok, as I mentioned before day one starts 24 hours after you first set the eggs, If they haven't internally pipped yet there isn't much you can do, If they don't internally pip within 24 hours I'd look for any bruising on the other side of the egg, which would mean they are trying to pip on the wrong end, although, I'm sure they will have internally pipped soon. If they have internally pipped for around 24 hours with no progress, I put a small safety hole on top of the aircell using a screw or a drill bit, brad points work great, the hole should be very small only the tip of the screw should go in.

If 48 hours go by after you make the safety or after they externally pip, and they make no progress, I gently peel the shell around the Aircell away, if you see any veins or blood stop immediately and set them back in the incubator. Most of the time my calls get it from there

Best of luck on your hatch! If you have any problems fill free to post and we can help you out!

I do not want to hijack this thread but I'm sitting at the same number of days (25) but mine did internally pip 24 hours ago, not due to hatch until tomorrow. From what I'm seeing here I should go ahead and do a safety hole?

I do not want to hijack this thread but I'm sitting at the same number of days (25) but mine did internally pip 24 hours ago, not due to hatch until tomorrow. From what I'm seeing here I should go ahead and do a safety hole?

If it were me and i knew for sure that they had been internally pipped for 24 hours i would do the safety hour as small as i could get it at that point. But I am by no means the authority on calls.

Back
Top Bottom