Hatching chick died... Did I do the right thing?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chookchookme, Aug 25, 2014.

1. chookchookme

chookchookme Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2014
    Lincolnshire
    Hello everyone,

I'm very new to the community so please bare with me if I make any mistakes!
    Among other chickens I have a Sussex hen. About a month ago she went broody and was very insistent upon it, I thought I would get her some fertilised eggs to sit on. I got them from a local country fair. There were 6, in the first week one cracked and one disappeared (suspected eaten) and so I was left with four. After that she was fab and an amazing sitter she did such a good job. The time came for them to hatch on Saturday. The first chick came that day really quite quickly, the second took Saturday and hatched Sunday and the third had started on Saturday but was still going today. I had been checking on the progress as much as possible trying not to disturb TOO much, it was making progress. This morning it had pipped a hole and was peeping... I went out for late lunch and returned about 4:30/5pm and went to check, it had began to unzip the egg at, about a cm so again that was progress. I was tempted to help it out but id read this process can take up to 3 days and interfering can lead to premature hatching of a chick that hasn't absorbed the yolk sack. It was really chirping away strongly and I thought it would be out in the next couple of hours.
    I just went to check again at 7pm, no movement or sound, I became worried and unpeeled the egg and sure enough the chick was dead.. I inspected it and there was a tiny bloody sack sticking out of it's vent area, smaller than a pea... But I just can't help but think if id helped the poor thing earlier it wouldn't have died, or does this bit showing from it's bum signify it may have died anyway? Did I do the right or wrong thing here, so I know in the future?
    Any comments and advice will be much appreciated.
    Thank you very much for your time!

2. avocado

avocado Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2014
    UK
    I think it would have died anyway. Usually from what I've seen guts hanging from the vent don't have a good prognosis. It wasn't your fault so don't beat yourself up!

3. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    In my experience, the late-hatchers that do make it out of the shell aren't necessarily very sturdy and will die within a few days anyway. I think it would not have mattered if you had helped it out or not. The blood sac coming out if its bottom is a sign that things weren't as they should be anyway.

4. spotsplus

spotsplus Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2008
    Franklin, MA
    Sadly sometimes the genetics of the chick are not right and they cannot sustain life once they start to breathe air. The little red sack tells me something was wrong so I don't think anything you could have done would have saved this chick. Congrats on the other healthy ones!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by