1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hatching cross bred eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Heidina, May 5, 2008.

1. Heidina

Heidina Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2008
    Plymouth, MA
    Hi - I have a white leghorn rooster and a bunch of rhode island reds. I am thinking about incubating a few eggs. I want to know if it's a good idea to cross a leghorn rooster with a red female. Also I've read that it's easy to tell sex with the cross of leghorn female with red rooster. But what about the opposite?
    Appreciate your wisdom on this.
    Thanks! [​IMG]

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Lots of people hatch out mixed chicken eggs...I have no idea on the sexing part...you should have pretty mixed chicks tho....

Around my part of the country most people have just mixed or mutt chickens, nothing wrong with those...they are just as pretty and lay just or even better than lot of breeds....

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I honestly think my mutt chickens usually hatch better than the purebreds....not always, but a lot of times. It's that hybrid vigor coming through.

4. Heidina

May 5, 2008
    Plymouth, MA
    Thanks!
    Today I've got 3 white eggs - no - one gorgeous, drying off chick, one pipped, and one wiggly egg in the incubator as we speak. But I'm thinking the hen and rooster are sis and bro, which is why the last batch didn't do well. But Sam the leghorn rooster is a very randy guy, and thanks to your wise words, next 3 eggs to go in the bator will be my biggest brown ones. [​IMG]
    I really appreciate your wisdom!

5. MaransGuy

MaransGuy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2007
    Greenfield, MA
    Quote:I certainly agree with that. I get 100% hatches from my Olive Egger cross (cb marans roo over an EE hen). I wish I could get the same from all my eggs!

Richard

6. Standard Hen

Standard Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    Quote:I love mutts, they are pretty and lay good eggs so I would definately agree with that tuff.

7. Heidina

May 5, 2008
    Plymouth, MA
    Thanks for your great responses. Next 3 big browns fertilized by big randy white are going into the incubator. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by