Hatching Disappointment

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mightieskeeper, May 16, 2010.

1. mightieskeeper

mightieskeeper Songster

Mar 6, 2009
    Clio Michigan
    I set 24 Amerucana eggs. I had 10 hatch. My last hatch was 90%. This time less than 50%. I wondering what I did wrong. Is it possible that this hatch was different because the eggs were shipped? I'm disappointed in my hatching ability. Next time I hope it goes better.

2. chickee

chickee Songster

Quote:Shipped eggs never hatch as well as your own. You were just two chicks away from a 50% hatch rate, which is considered a good hatch! So you did well! [​IMG] My last hatch was shipped eggs and 9 of 18 hatched but they just traveled from one end of the state to the other. Now I have a batch set that traveled a long distance and I will be happy if I get any to hatch! [​IMG] Have fun with your babies!! [​IMG]

3. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix Bantam Fanatic

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    That's considered a good hatch for shipped eggs! Shipped eggs have a lower chance of hatching than eggs that haven't been shipped. Don't be disappointed--celebrate your good hatch! [​IMG]

4. mightieskeeper

mightieskeeper Songster

Mar 6, 2009
    Clio Michigan
    Thanks That makes me feel better. The good thing is I got 10 baby chicks.

5. Brindlebtch

Brindlebtch Songster

Apr 15, 2009
    Texas
    I think that is pretty darn good with shipped eggs, too!

6. msheets

msheets Songster

May 13, 2010
    Hurricane, WV
    Congrats on your 10 chicks! I set 46 Ameraucana eggs & all of them died except for one that I'm helping hatch now & things still aren't looking good for him. My eggs weren't even shipped but picked up locally! Post pics if you can (=

7. mmfarm

mmfarm In the Brooder

Feb 25, 2010
    Southeastern NC
    For shipped eggs, I'm happy with anything over 25%. There are so many things that can go wrong (temp fluctuations, ruptured air cells, concussion, x-rays, etc.) that it's really a miracle any hatch. Congrats on your 10 babies![​IMG]

8. jeb251

jeb251 Songster

Mar 24, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    you can get good hatches with shipped eggs too I hatched 13 out of 16 eggs I got from green fire farms, it all has to do with the freshness of theggs and how the post office handles them

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by