Hatching Do's and Don'ts. Help

chicken danz

Crowing
12 Years
May 20, 2010
Waverly
Every thing I read and and everyone I know who hatches poultry of some kind, tells me something different for incubator hatching. Humidity is one thing no one agrees on. Another is washing eggs. I use two styrofoam incubators. One with a turner and fan and another one that is still air with no turner. When I reach day 21 for my pheasant eggs, I switch eggs to the still air from the turning one. How should I maintain humidity in each of these? This is the type with the little water trays built in. I don't have a humidity tester and can only regulate by the amount I put in the trays. I've heard to keep humidity low and high in both incubators. I need some clarification from people out there on what works best.
Also how to; or if to wash eggs. I am hatching pheasants now and the people I know who hatch pheasants don't wash their eggs but most of what I read says to. So do you wash them or not and what do you use to do so?
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

You will always get conflicting information because each individual location has an effect on the incubation of eggs, and then there are the different incubators, humidity preferences, etc.

I suggest getting a hydrometer so you are not guessing on your humidity. Try a clutch both ways - dry and moist - see which style works best for you.

I know for my area - I have single digit humidity naturally, so it can be a struggle to raise humidity for lockdown. I use additional containers of water with paper towels to help evaporation.

I do not wash my eggs - but have read of others who do. If I have a really dirty egg that I must hatch - I will take a dry towel and wipe what I can off the egg. I know there are companies who make "egg dip" that cleans the egg - but personally - if mother nature does not need to wash the eggs before a hen sets, I guess I do not see the need either.

But you can always try it with a washed clutch and unwashed clutch.

I have found that a medium grit flexible sanding sponge is great for knocking the worst of the poop off. I don't wash, eggs are very porous.

I agree with the suggestion to purchase a hygrometer. You can go to a pet store that sells lizards and get very nice, easy to use, digital ones for not much money. Well worth not wasting your eggs. I think I paid $15 for ours and it works like a charm.
I also do not wash eggs.

Back
Top Bottom