hatching egg question-storing eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by crazyforchicks, Dec 15, 2010.

1. crazyforchicks

crazyforchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    I am only getting about two eggs a day from my girls and I want to hatch out some of them and was wondering what should I do with the eggs I collect in the mean time? What temp do
    I store them and how long do they last for stored? I am new to this hatching business and just have alot of questions about it... [​IMG]

2. Chickie15

Chickie15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Quote:We kept ours at room temp in the kitchen until we were ready to put them in. We turned them a few times a day and they turned out fine. [​IMG]

3. chuckzoo

chuckzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2009
    Tuscaloosa, Alabama
    Quote:I will share what I read recenctly on what I believe to be a reputable site. Older eggs, older than ten days, can have leg problem when they hatch. Turning the eggs sounds like sound advice.

4. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Store them large end up. Turn them a couple times a day. Keep them in cool temps. When I hatch eggs, I have held them up to 2 weeks and they hatched just fine.

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I always stored them in the cellar at a temp. of approximately 60 degrees F and humidity around 50%. I stored them on their side marked with a big X and turned them daily. I successfully hatched eggs older than 2 weeks, but found that optimum results were achieved on eggs stored a shorter period of time. Basically, I kept eggs until I had enough to fill the incubator.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by