Hatching eggs and business advice

Pics

Rcornerranch

Songster
Sep 23, 2020
Lincoln County, MO, USA
What are many of your hatching egg policies? Do you ever give free eggs if someone claims none were fertile? What if you knew the eggs had a great fertility rate?

I am having issues with people claiming no eggs were fertile/no eggs hatched. I am trying to ask people which it was. Not hatching does not mean they were not fertile. It's...difficult. I know some people are not dishonest--they really just don't know. For example: one person did not put eggs in their incubator for two weeks. I need to continue running my farm as a business, though, and not a charity or science experiments for other people. I realize I could have hatched those birds and sold them instead, but people want another dozen for free. That puts me at losing potential birds and lost income to pay for management and improvement of my set up. I feel I need to raise prices on my birds to try to compensate for not having as many to sell because I feel pressured to give another dozen here and there away. If I do this, though, dishonest people are likely selling chicks from my eggs for cheaper to my potential customers.

Should I have people agree (in a trackable way in messages or contracts) fertility is not guaranteed? I am feeling discouraged lately. I recently had someone short me on chicks...and the situation got weird...I know it seems to be a hard year for people with livestock businesses. I have a waitlist of people wanting birds and can't give away certain breeds, like my Lavender Ameraucana, Royal Palm turkey, and Welsh Harlequin duck eggs. I also have people questioning my prices, but I research hatchery prices, other sellers in my state, Craigslist, and the farms I got my birds from to make my pricing decisions. I also factor in breed standards. I have multiple people telling me I should be charging less than $3 a bird, and I am struggling to find a good professional response to their remarks. I believe it is time for me to type out policies to have on hand to keep people from getting to me. Business advice, anyone?

You keep doing what you are doing. If people think that your hatching egg's or chick's are worth the way that you breed them, then they will buy. If they want chick's for less then 3 dollars, they can go to TSC or other places like that. Those Welsh Harlequins shouldn't be too cheap, as they are sexable at hatch. I just hatched a few of those for my neighbor from shipped hatching egg's.

The Welsh Harlequin in particular are the birds I recently had a customer scold me about. I tried to explain that they are sexable at hatch, so the females will be priced more. Plus, mine appear correct. I see the cheapest ones in my area have orange legs and bills and look like mixes. I don't think most people realize they are sexable by bill color and are selling them straight run instead. Glad you specifically mentioned the Welsh Harlequins! They are also the breed that all people are trying to get free eggs from. Well, those and the purebred Ameraucanas.

The Welsh Harlequin in particular are the birds I recently had a customer scold me about. I tried to explain that they are sexable at hatch, so the females will be priced more. Plus, mine appear correct. I see the cheapest ones in my area have orange legs and bills and look like mixes. I don't think most people realize they are sexable by bill color and are selling them straight run instead. Glad you specifically mentioned the Welsh Harlequins! They are also the breed that all people are trying to get free eggs from. Well, those and the purebred Ameraucanas.
I like being able to sex duck's or chick's at hatch. That's also why my flock is just the Bielefelder's now as they are an auto-sexed breed. I hatched those Welsh Harlequins for my next door neighbor as he had 2 drakes and a hen that were full grown. The duckling's I just hatched were 2 girl's and 1 boy. So now he should be evened out with 3 of each sex. The hatching egg's have been being bought off of ebay.

I would definitely set up a structure of some kind. Even if it is a website you throw up or a handout with policies, I think it would save you time in the long run, and make you seem more legitimate to them (which it sounds like you are). Just make it clear how and when people can get refunds, etc. and way more people won't bother you because they know they are in the wrong.

There is a hatchery in VT that charges astronomical prices just because of the work that they put into breeding carefully. If you are doing that work as well you should be able to name your price, too. Folks should know that small breeders can't sell at giant hatchery prices.

Last edited:
I would definitely set up a structure of some kind. Even if it is a website you throw up or a handout with policies, I think it would save you time in the long run, and make you seem more legitimate to them (which it sounds like you are). Just make it clear how and when people can get refunds, etc. and way more people won't bother you because they know they are in the wrong.

There is a hatchery in VT that charges astronomical prices just because of the work that they put into breeding carefully. If you are doing that work as well you should be able to name your price, too. Folks should know that small breeders can sell at giant hatchery prices.
I have been told multiple times my prices should be less than hatchery prices to be more economical for local buyers who can't afford hatchery prices, but I think purebreds should not be sold for barn mix prices. If they have their budget, they should get birds for that budget and not get upset with me. I try to maintain a busness attitude with them, but it gets challenging. I also have to maintain separate areas for each breed.

I remember when I first got chickens four years ago I expected local breeders to be charging more for their birds because breeders choose to breed better birds of their breeds. I thought that was well known, like adopting a mixed rescue dog versus buying from a line of show dogs. I am seeing many people think all chickens are the same, but they can go elsewhere then.

I have been told multiple times my prices should be less than hatchery prices to be more economical for local buyers who can't afford hatchery prices, but I think purebreds should not be sold for barn mix prices. If they have their budget, they should get birds for that budget and not get upset with me. I try to maintain a busness attitude with them, but it gets challenging. I also have to maintain separate areas for each breed.

I remember when I first got chickens four years ago I expected local breeders to be charging more for their birds because breeders choose to breed better birds of their breeds. I thought that was well known, like adopting a mixed rescue dog versus buying from a line of show dogs. I am seeing many people think all chickens are the same, but they can go elsewhere then.
I check the local craigslist ads here for the Phoenix area, and the prices that they are trying to ask for barnyard mixes is way ridiculous. I also see that people are buying hatchery chick's or from places like TSC and then turn around and sell them for a profit. Yes, many people don't realize the various breed's and they think that a chicken is a chicken. I have even see ad's for people calling rooster's "rooster hen's" like those will lay an egg too.

Maybe write up a short statement they have to sign upon payment that states something along the lines of 'Due to matters outside of my control, once these eggs leave my possession, I cannot guarantee hatchrate' or something like that. Cause for all you know, people pop them in the oven for incubating or drive over the potholes on the way home

What are many of your hatching egg policies? Do you ever give free eggs if someone claims none were fertile? What if you knew the eggs had a great fertility rate?

I am having issues with people claiming no eggs were fertile/no eggs hatched. I am trying to ask people which it was. Not hatching does not mean they were not fertile. It's...difficult. I know some people are not dishonest--they really just don't know. For example: one person did not put eggs in their incubator for two weeks. I need to continue running my farm as a business, though, and not a charity or science experiments for other people. I realize I could have hatched those birds and sold them instead, but people want another dozen for free. That puts me at losing potential birds and lost income to pay for management and improvement of my set up. I feel I need to raise prices on my birds to try to compensate for not having as many to sell because I feel pressured to give another dozen here and there away. If I do this, though, dishonest people are likely selling chicks from my eggs for cheaper to my potential customers.

Should I have people agree (in a trackable way in messages or contracts) fertility is not guaranteed? I am feeling discouraged lately. I recently had someone short me on chicks...and the situation got weird...I know it seems to be a hard year for people with livestock businesses. I have a waitlist of people wanting birds and can't give away certain breeds, like my Lavender Ameraucana, Royal Palm turkey, and Welsh Harlequin duck eggs. I also have people questioning my prices, but I research hatchery prices, other sellers in my state, Craigslist, and the farms I got my birds from to make my pricing decisions. I also factor in breed standards. I have multiple people telling me I should be charging less than $3 a bird, and I am struggling to find a good professional response to their remarks. I believe it is time for me to type out policies to have on hand to keep people from getting to me. Business advice, anyone?
Man that hits home! So I sell hatching eggs locally only, and once they leave here, my policy is its your problem! 12 roos your problem, didn't hatch the exact bird from the pictures on the internet, your problem, only one hatched, agian your problem! I hatch my eggs each month, so I know my eggs are good. Next 1-4 week old chicks. 5 out 10 people kill at least half if not all. Not my problem! I lose 1 out of a 100, you killed 5 out 10? Not my problem.
I dont advertise any chicken under 12 wks anymore. I raise out all my birds, shooting for 300+ this year. Roosters separated early by at least week 6. Best roos held back shitty roos go to free range and will become food for something or someone. Snake and reptile weirdos feed whole chickens all sizes. There is a market there, also people will raise out good roosters for a couple more months to eat. It takes a while to build clientele.
This is how I break even or ish by 2054🤣. Pullets and laying hens.
I sell them like this to make it easy!
Pet quality (it is a ______ but its flaws mean it should not be bred forward) 55$ laying hen 35$ 12 week pullet
Breed quality (full on ____ not SOP but headed the right direction 70-100$)
Show quality (never for sale) I spent to much time and money to give away my genetics for any money.
If I had a 1000 hens today, I would have them gone in a month.
Next yr my prices are going up in order to slow down demand. We sold our whole spring stock in less than 2 wks on Craigslist and regulars only.

Maybe write up a short statement they have to sign upon payment that states something along the lines of 'Due to matters outside of my control, once these eggs leave my possession, I cannot guarantee hatchrate' or something like that. Cause for all you know, people pop them in the oven for incubating or drive over the potholes on the way home
I agree. If you have a quality product, charge appropriately.

I used to hand dye and spin yarn, then knit one-of-a-kind sweaters. I had a woman ask me why I charged so much, since "you like what you do." I had no answer then; I sure would now!

@Urb sustain, good for you.

Back
Top Bottom