Hatching eggs and business advice

I agree. If you have a quality product, charge appropriately.

I used to hand dye and spin yarn, then knit one-of-a-kind sweaters. I had a woman ask me why I charged so much, since "you like what you do." I had no answer then; I sure would now!

@Urb sustain, good for you.
That's just plain crazy! So, if you don't like what you do, then you should have been charging more?

Man that hits home! So I sell hatching eggs locally only, and once they leave here, my policy is its your problem! 12 roos your problem, didn't hatch the exact bird from the pictures on the internet, your problem, only one hatched, agian your problem! I hatch my eggs each month, so I know my eggs are good. Next 1-4 week old chicks. 5 out 10 people kill at least half if not all. Not my problem! I lose 1 out of a 100, you killed 5 out 10? Not my problem.
I dont advertise any chicken under 12 wks anymore. I raise out all my birds, shooting for 300+ this year. Roosters separated early by at least week 6. Best roos held back shitty roos go to free range and will become food for something or someone. Snake and reptile weirdos feed whole chickens all sizes. There is a market there, also people will raise out good roosters for a couple more months to eat. It takes a while to build clientele.
This is how I break even or ish by 2054🤣. Pullets and laying hens.
I sell them like this to make it easy!
Pet quality (it is a ______ but its flaws mean it should not be bred forward) 55$ laying hen 35$ 12 week pullet
Breed quality (full on ____ not SOP but headed the right direction 70-100$)
Show quality (never for sale) I spent to much time and money to give away my genetics for any money.
If I had a 1000 hens today, I would have them gone in a month.
Next yr my prices are going up in order to slow down demand. We sold our whole spring stock in less than 2 wks on Craigslist and regulars only.
Where are you located?

That's just plain crazy! So, if you don't like what you do, then you should have been charging more?
Yeah, I didn't have any answer for her. I'm glad; I might have said mean, nasty things.

When it comes to hands-on, custom made things, people should expect to pay for what they're getting. Quality animals of any kind are nothing different.

Some people give away their time on the beautiful things they make. I would never expect that, or quibble with their price.

Yeah, I didn't have any answer for her. I'm glad; I might have said mean, nasty things.

When it comes to hands-on, custom made things, people should expect to pay for what they're getting. Quality animals of any kind are nothing different.

Some people give away their time on the beautiful things they make. I would never expect that, or quibble with their price.
Exactly! They are not massed produced on machines and sold at places like Walmart ot K-Mart. I appreciate the time and work that can go into handmade thing's.

I agree. If you have a quality product, charge appropriately.

I used to hand dye and spin yarn, then knit one-of-a-kind sweaters. I had a woman ask me why I charged so much, since "you like what you do." I had no answer then; I sure would now!

@Urb sustain, good for you.
What type of dye did you use? Me, my mom and grandma are going to be playing around with dying wool this summer

Sorry, this is totally not answering the poster, but I worked with plant dyes a couple years back and it was an amazing experience. The book I used was called "Wild Color", but you can get a lot of info online.

OP, is there anything else specifically we can answer for you?

I know many people try to talk down businesses on everything. I am reminding myself of that! But I would NEVER be so bold and disrespectful to disagree with a business on their prices (to their face anyway lol), and it is weird to me so many people just will do that without thinking about the other person's point of view. When the one woman shorted me, she said it didn't seem like I needed the $11 anyway. It was so incredibly rude. When you are starting a business, the money does count!

Back
Top Bottom