Hatching Eggs By The Moon Thread

Im sorry everyone i know i said i would update it every month and i haven't in 3 months im sorry i have just been soo busy and tired i finally got around to updating it today the dates for JUNE,JULY&AUG have been posted

Hmm guess this thread is kinda dead.... I set some eggs on the 21st of Feb....2013 now I looked at the Farmers Almanac (not the old farmers almanac) and it said 21 was the last day to set for this month (I didn't plan it just turned out that way..) then remembered g]=hearing about this and came to check it out

Hmm guess this thread is kinda dead.... I set some eggs on the 21st of Feb....2013 now I looked at the Farmers Almanac (not the old farmers almanac) and it said 21 was the last day to set for this month (I didn't plan it just turned out that way..) then remembered g]=hearing about this and came to check it out

Congrats good luck!

I will hatch by the moon this year, only i'am in the middle of a incubator build so i'll have to be patient for one more month.
And the lady's aren't laying very much yet, i don't use artificial lighting.
So next month i'll be joining.

I wish you the best of luck with your hatch and keep us posted.

Hi, I am wondering, when you say set them by the moon, do you mean you put them in incubation, so day 21 is on a full moon, or no moon?

The old farmers almanac egg setting dates for 2013 are

February: 1, 18, 27, 28
March: 26, 27
April: 4, 22–24
May: 2, 3, 19–21, 29, 30
June: 17, 25–27
July: 23, 24
August: 19, 20, 2, 28
September: 15, 16, 24, 25
October: 13, 14, 21, 22
November: 17, 18
December: 14, 15, 24, 25
From the website

Of course it depends on which farmers almanac you look at... mine said the 20 &21 of feb were good days to set... so I did. (one the 21st) right now I have the bator full, out of 48 eggs... I KNOW 4 were clear, 4 others I'm pretty sure are clear....(but will wait until at least day 14 unless I notice a smell <G>

We'll see how it goes!

Ann

The old farmers almanac egg setting dates for 2013 are
February: 1, 18, 27, 28
March: 26, 27
April: 4, 22–24
May: 2, 3, 19–21, 29, 30
June: 17, 25–27
July: 23, 24
August: 19, 20, 2, 28
September: 15, 16, 24, 25
October: 13, 14, 21, 22
November: 17, 18
December: 14, 15, 24, 25
From the website
1) Are these the dates to set on, or hatch on (for quail). 2) Also, when ordering shipped eggs, how long should you let them "rest" before putting them in the incubator? 3) I'm ordering my first set of eggs soon (just bought a hovabator with automatic turner). Should I just buy a few eggs to try, or go for it and get a bigger batch? Thanks for you patience (newbie!)

Quote: 1) These are the days to set on for chickens. So for quail you set a couple days later (chickens take 21 days to hatch and quail less).
2) Let them rest for 24 hours before putting in the incubator. I've read that the turner best be turnd of for the first two days in the incubator so the aircel can set, i don't know if that is only for chicken or also for other birds.
3) I would go for a bigger batch, but i don't do this for very long either so maybe someone else can give you a better answer about this.

Back
Top Bottom