Hatching eggs dilemma

lauren212

Songster
5 Years
Aug 15, 2016
Ontario
Last year my broody hen Penny hatched eggs. This year the rooster died 12 days ago. My hen just went broody the other day. I read the the eggs they lay can still be fertile? Also she spent the entire night on them the first night but then left them during the day and went back at night. Now she seems to have settled in and staying on them. Two questions. Are they still potentially fertilized after 12 days. And if she left them for a day (other hens were on them throughout the day) should I start with new eggs. I also have eggs in the house on the counter that are a few days old- can those be used (not sure how long they last). Advice would be great.
Thanks
Lauren

Last year my broody hen Penny hatched eggs. This year the rooster died 12 days ago. My hen just went broody the other day. I read the the eggs they lay can still be fertile? Also she spent the entire night on them the first night but then left them during the day and went back at night. Now she seems to have settled in and staying on them. Two questions. Are they still potentially fertilized after 12 days. And if she left them for a day (other hens were on them throughout the day) should I start with new eggs. I also have eggs in the house on the counter that are a few days old- can those be used (not sure how long they last). Advice would be great.
Thanks
Lauren
Some of the eggs may be fertile. Because she was off the nest for the day, that should close the gap on a staggered hatch.
Are you going to need to move her to a proper site to incubate? If so, do that now but use fake eggs. Collect the eggs off the nest she was on and mark them and set them aside until she settles onto the new nest site. Then remove the fake eggs and slip the marked eggs under her.
Candle on the 7th day to check for development. Remove any that are duds.

Some of the eggs may be fertile. Because she was off the nest for the day, that should close the gap on a staggered hatch.
Are you going to need to move her to a proper site to incubate? If so, do that now but use fake eggs. Collect the eggs off the nest she was on and mark them and set them aside until she settles onto the new nest site. Then remove the fake eggs and slip the marked eggs under her.
Candle on the 7th day to check for development. Remove any that are duds.

Last year I left her there for about 15 days then moved her to her own area for the last few days then when the chicks were a few days old she went back to the coop and didn’t have any issues. I marked 6 eggs the other night I’ll check in 7 days. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom