Hatching eggs from medicated hens

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MicheleC, Nov 14, 2012.

1. MicheleC

MicheleC Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Lake Charles
    Ok, I have a few sniffles and want to give some medicated feed. My question is, is it ok to incubate these eggs since we won't be eating them?

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    No, I've done a little research into incubating eggs after giving medicine and the results were not good. Handicapped and dead chicks. [​IMG]Rather toss the eggs.

3. TNBEARCHICK

TNBEARCHICK Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2012
    JOHNSON CITY
    we tried it last year with horrible results, several born with deformities and some died right after hatch, so I would think bad idea.

4. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Medicated feed isn't for that. It is to prevent Coccis

5. SilkieSensation

SilkieSensation Overrun With Chickens

Oct 25, 2012
    Baltic, Ohio
    Medicated feed won't work for sniffles. You need an antibiotic like Duramycin-10 or a penicillin based one.

6. MicheleC

MicheleC Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Lake Charles
    Thanks you guys!!! I have owned chickens for a couple years now withou having any problems. I bought a few hens from the local sale barn and now chickens sick left and right. I thought maybe the medicated feed would give them a boost as it states it is full of vitamins and minerals. I guess it's live and learn. Appreciate all the advice!!

7. SilkieSensation

SilkieSensation Overrun With Chickens

Oct 25, 2012
    Baltic, Ohio
    You can add a vitamin/mineral supplement to their water if you like. TSC or your local feed store should carry it in powder or liquid form. Just follow the directions on the package.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by