Hatching eggs in November

I may have a cold weather event coming. Will purchase some hay to put in pens. Will keep chicks off cold surfaces and provide additional windbreak. Since hay dark it should aid collection of solar heat in morning when needed most. Swapping it out periodically will also keep world drier for chicks. Keeping chicks hydrated may be a little more difficult. I have no electricity in barn. Soaking of oats will begin tomorrow. Problem is smaller chicks will not be able to dilute nutrient intake much to meet water intake means via that route. If chicks have a hydration issue, then they will cheap a lot more than usual. The youngest brood is approaching point where chicks can consume whole corn although diluting with energy is also problematic with such small chickens. Where hens still involved, if mother can be kept in exceptional energy status, then she will invest more in the brooding side. Momma has to crank up her metabolism a lot doing that and hens are generally at their lowest weight about 2 weeks post-hatch. Latest hatching hen is in that window.

So much great help! Thanks Ridgerunner! I'll take the cage up today and let them integrate. They have already been socializing "a little" each day, when I go in and open up the broody pen to change water and feed for Momma and babies... and I have seen that Momma does protect them if another hen is inside. (Most of the girls spend the day outside unless they're eating or laying.) I think the chicks should be pretty safe from truly becoming separated, the pop hole door is about 8 inches off the floor of the coop, so the adult birds have to hop up to the threshold... I think that will keep the babies from going out until they are a little bigger. But we're having an amazingly warm November for NC, so the cold really isn't even a factor yet. Our adult feeder is also too high for the chicks to reach, so that should keep them from eating the high calcium Layer feed that is there. Guess I can't keep the adults from eating the Starter, ;) Thanks again for such a kind gift of good advice!! I'm still learning, and after 4 years of having chickens, this is our first home hatch... it has been a little intimidating. Thanks BYC'ers for all the help!!
jumpy.gif
Love these sweet little breakfast makers!!
Such a great thread. I just got 3 chickens a month ago and was given 5 hens and a rooster several days ago. 5 of them are Buff Orps and 1 is a Gold Laced Orp, also have a silkie and an Ameracauna. All the hens are 6+ months old (Silkie is 5+). The rooster is a hybrid, mostly BO with some Braggs Mountain Buff and is 8+ months old. The hens aren't laying yet but should start soon.

I wasn't planning on having a rooster but since he was a gift and so far has not been loud or aggressive, I'll keep him. I also wasn't planning on raising chicks but thanks to BYCs, getting a rooster and these these great threads I'm considering trying it in the spring. Still so much to learn but I'll keep reading and getting ideas and info so thanks to all of you.

I like HSMomma3s feeder idea and have a question. She said she has a high feeder for the adults so the chicks will stay out of the layer feed and the starter feed on the floor for the chicks. Would it work to put the chicks feed in a 2x4 or 4x4 fenced area in the coop? The chicks could get in to the starter feed and the adults couldn't, then they all would get the right stuff. My new coop project is going to allow me enough room to do that as well as have a brooding area in it too. Considering the idea for the chick's safety as well as socialization since they'd be close to all the others in the coop. Comments and suggestions are welcome.

I put this over the chick feeder. The chicks can get in it from the ends but the older chickens can’t get to it. This is just to make sure the chicks get the feed. I give them all the same thing but if I put something on the ground where the chicks can easily get to it, the adults treat it like candy and devour it before the chicks can get to it. It’s the same stuff, just in a different location than they are used to.

If you do a search on “creep feeders” you can probably find examples of what others do. Azygous creates a safe haven for hers and keeps feed and water in there for them. Different people do different things.

I’ve seen a broody hen pick feed out of a high feeder and give it to her chicks. By the time mine are two weeks old they are flying up to my high feeders to eat without waiting on the broody. I find that trying to put Layer where young chicks cannot get to it does not work. Those little boogers can get anywhere. So I offer all mine the exact same feed and offer oyster shell on the side for those that need the shell for eggs. The ones that need the calcium for the shells eat enough. The ones that don’t need it don’t eat enough to harm themselves.

Back
Top Bottom