hatching eggs the old fashioned way

chicky chicky bok bok

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jan 12, 2009
We are hatching eggs the old fashioned way as a home school project for our children. We wanted to do it the old fashioned way under the chicken's butt! I just had a few questions for someone with more experience.

First of all, we seperated out 6 hens and 2 roosters in a seperate stall. We were then going to take the eggs (that we are pretty certain will be fertil) and place them under 2-4 of our broody hens in a heated stall. First of all, will the hens sit on the eggs and actually keep them warm enough? When they are not sitting on them, how warm does their environment have to be? What is the average incubation period as well? I guess this is just an experiment for us, but I would appriciate any input that anyone may have for a successful hatching! Thanks.

Yes the hen will sit on them if shes already sitting on some, it takes 18 to 21 days depending mostly on the weather ,and a hen knows how long to stay off the eggs for them to hatch how I don't know. But they will hatch summer or winter if the hen is setting

Quote:
Oh yes, I've already had some broody chickens hatch me some duck eggs back in Novemeber, even though it was very cold... we didn't bother adding additional heating stuff. They even sat for 30+ days which is how long it took for ducks. Its like they seriously just KNOW!
tongue.png

I have done the same thing before. I brought in 6 eggs from my SIL house. Numbered them with a marker and let the girls do their thing. I don't think they were all fertile. Only one hatched but it was such a thrill.

If she's really broody, it can be the darn cold. They'll hatch a clutch of eggs in the dead of winter! Since it sounds like you have the ability to do it, I'd keep the stall draft free and above freezing, but not actually 'warm'. Mama will take care of the rest. Once they hatch, if there's a heat lamp, they'll huddle under that if mama gets up to eat or drink. (or, they'll sort of shuffle along with her, which is really hilarious to watch them try to do)

Back
Top Bottom