hatching eggs with our brooter hen

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jscrouchet, Jan 28, 2011.

1. jscrouchet

jscrouchet New Egg

Jan 18, 2011
    I just recieved 6 eggs today to let my brooter hen hatch. I'm affraid that if it is successful and we do hatch some chicks that will they be ok around our other hens or do I have to keep them apart. does anyone have any advise on using brooty hens to hatch eggs that aren't theres and how does it affect the flock. I only have a total of 6 hens and this is my first time hatching eggs in anyway so help would please. [​IMG]

2. nwfl

nwfl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2011
    Northwest Florida
    Yes a broody will accept more eggs. No I have never let chicks in with adults. I usually remove my broody and her nest to a cage set up that is about the size of a large rabbit hutch. I do this for her safety and my sanity.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2011
  3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    My broody that hatched chicks yesterday is in a large dog kennel, in the coop with the rest of the flock. Today sometime she will be moved to a larger kennel so she and the chicks will have more room to move around.
    Once she is ready to introduce her brood to the flock she will only do so under my supervision.
    Her chicks aren't from her eggs, but rather from my other flock. Broodies can't count and they can't tell the difference between their eggs and another hens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by