hatching guinea fowl eggs in NH?

do you have any pictures of them? Where in MA did you say you were? My boyfriend is buying a guitar from his sister's husband, though I dont know when we are going down there. We take rt 13 all the way down to Fitchburg.

I can take pics tonight but it will be dark so I will see how they come out. I live in souther worcester county but I would be willing to meet you half way if you are seriously interested after you see the pics.

Julie

Ms. Lewis Rich :

Marlin, I only want one if that Blk. Roo is daddyLOL
Gee I wonder if the hybrids crow?

That black roo was part of the if it crows it goes campaign, and wound up in with a bunch of egg noodles, sorry no babies from him, his sister however hatched out a bunch of guineas this summer 2 hatches of around 20 apiece. She is a good Broody, about worthless when it comes to eggs, but she earns her keep.​

If I was bashing them why would I hatch and raise them?

People new to guineas need to be forewarned. These ain't chickens ye be raisin'.

Quote:
Because they are nasty little creatures, but are delisious (-1sp) when roasted and served with a nice white wine.
ep.gif

Oh boy, oh boy, Guinea talk!
clap.gif

I love my little flock! Missyprissy is knowledgeable about guineas but she doesn't raise them as pets, they eat them so there isn't any love loss there when she speaks of them so try not to take it personal. I started with a pair of males awhile ago, purchased from a local feedstore but lost them to free roaming ranchdogs a little over a year ago but I was hooked. Desperate for more, I search for hatching eggs but wasn't able to obtain any until the Summertime. I purchased a dozen from the Guinea Farm in Iowa. I hatched 7 out of 12. I was amazed at how easy they were to hatch, easier than chickens! Again, I was hooked. I purchased again from 2 of our members, a total of 45 eggs, hatched 35, sold all of them within 2 weeks (we have major grasshopper problem here) but kept 4. They are 5 months old now, of different colors each (1 Male) Pearl Pied and (3 females) Pearl, Coral Blue & Buff Pied. They have been in the coop with my chickens since they 2 weeks old (1st, a brooder with separate fence) then the fence was removed at 2 months and they have been living in harmony ever since! "Patches", my male guinea, is the only male in the coop. He doesn't bother the pullets but is starting to get friendly with the female guineas, ONLY. I'm hoping he will breed with all 3 of the female guineas then I can hatch my own eggs without purchasing them.
There's my Happy Guinea story!
celebrate.gif

Last edited:
No. I don't put wine on them. I put the wine in the glass.

Guineas are good eating.

If some of these high class people in DC saw what they were paying $35 a dinner plate for they would push back from the table with both hands. LOL

I hate to take us off the topic of how good they might be to eat... Hell I like them as well... but I would like to know something.

I only know about Guineas from living in West Africa. They raised them in the villages and hunted them in the countryside. You should try to run one of yours down and kill it with your bare hands or hit it out of the air with a stick. That is how we hunted them. Hard work but a lot of fun. Especially in the Sub-Saharan heat. I dove straight into a huge thorn bush once trying to get one. I missed, but came away with a feather or too. The dog on the other side was more lucky. Dinner.

I really want to have a few, but I am concerned about them attracting predators. If they are going to be wondering around and if they are so random with their laying. Are there going to be eggs in all different places to attract skunks, raccoons, and coyotes? Our dogs are only able to protect part of the property. Our chickens and turkeys will be attracting some anyway, but eggs all over seem to be a bad thing.

Thoughts? Experiences?

Back
Top Bottom