Hatching help! 18 hours after pip and stuck

Just an update. Baby chick was still stuck in the membrane this morning, even after being coated with coconut oil and the humidity increased in the incubator. I helped removed more of the shell and peeled away some of the hardened membrane. It was stuck so tightly to the chicken, he was coated in hardened membrane. I removed about 70 percent, and he got the rest off. He is teeny tiny. His belly button had not closed and had some thick bloody attachment outside of it, so I let him sit in a cup, lined with paper towel, for 4 hours under the heat lamp until he was dry. I put iodine around his belly button and on the cord, and have continued to do so. He is very active....lots of beeping and shuffling around the little bowl he is in. He doesn’t settle until you hold him and then he falls fast asleep. He is drinking from an eye dropper. I added PolyViSol to the water. He pecks at his food. I think it’s a long way to go for him to make it, but you never know. He has a strong will to live! Any suggestions for further care would be appreciated. I have him separated from the others, to keep his belly clean and so he doesn’t get trampled.
Give it a heat lamp with some water and food.

Back
Top Bottom