Hatching in progress, temp and humidity jumping all over.

VaM715

Songster
11 Years
Feb 26, 2008
Fincastle, VA
I have 36 eggs in cartons. About 20 have pipped, 5 have completly hatched. The fluker Thermometer is going crazy, fomr 101.5 to 104.1, the probe in the wiggler has dropped to 97.6. Humidity has been up to 88 percent and now is at 72 percent. Some pips that showed up this morning have not changed much. What is causing these changes? Respiration of the chicks or what? Opening and closing of the door in the room the bator is in? Worry or not?

The conditions inside the incubator go from relatively stable to very unstable when the chick begin to hatch. They are wet, which pushes up humidity, and working hard which affects the temp in a still air.

The wiggler temp is ok for a hatcher, just monitor the humidity. If you want to reduce it a bit, then try using the vents. It's not a great idea to open the box at this stage. Let the hatched chicks dry out and find their feet. They can stay in there for up to 24 hours, although I've never liked leaving them longer than 12.

Doesn't mean I am right, just how I feel about it
smile.png

I have 9 hatched, I can see 10 more pips!!!
Gonna get crowded in there by morning I think. Numbers 1,2,3 will be 12 hours old at 2am, but I'll see what everybody looks like in the AM before I go to the brooder with anyone.

Quote:
First congratulations on your hatch.
Your post made me wonder something though. If you have the set up to do so, (like an extra banter) is it best to move eggs in the process of hatching over to that?

Your post made me wonder something though. If you have the set up to do so, (like an extra banter) is it best to move eggs in the process of hatching over to that?

Well that's always a good idea if possible, but temp and humidity will still jump about a bit when eggs hatch.​

Back
Top Bottom