Hatching issue

He really seems like he is trying to get out. I tried to peel a little membrane away near his face and at one point it seemed stuck so I didn’t force it, I stopped. I think his membrane has dried to his body and he is stuck in it. Still red veins showing.

As far as the others, their beaks are out and they are moving and chirping but no progress zipping. I don’t think they can turn- their membranes probably sticking to them under the shell.😖 Please let me know if I need to do anything more tonight or do you think they’re ok til morning? Thanks everyone!

Attachments

• E1AD446E-463B-4AA5-B8D8-409B16AF50CE.jpeg
    E1AD446E-463B-4AA5-B8D8-409B16AF50CE.jpeg
    379.3 KB · Views: 10
He really seems like he is trying to get out. I tried to peel a little membrane away near his face and at one point it seemed stuck so I didn’t force it, I stopped. I think his membrane has dried to his body and he is stuck in it. Still red veins showing.

As far as the others, their beaks are out and they are moving and chirping but no progress zipping. I don’t think they can turn- their membranes probably sticking to them under the shell.😖 Please let me know if I need to do anything more tonight or do you think they’re ok til morning? Thanks everyone!

I will reiterate what @WVduckchick suggested. The babies are pretty shrink-wrapped, especially the one you took most of the shell off of, so you're going to have to keep moistening that membrane, and every few hours during the day, with a pair of tweezers, try to gently peel back the membrane/shell, of course, don't peel back any shell/membrane that has active veins on it, just the stuff that is dry.

You are basically the duckling as of now because they will have a very hard time getting out now, they are dependent on you. If the membrane is stuck to them, moisten with coconut oil, wait, and see if it will come off a little easier.

Widen the shell little by little, do not take the whole shell off at once.

If you say no to all of these, most likely they are done absorbing, but always proceed with caution and do little by little. Are their active veins in the egg? Is the duckling yawning or making clicking sounds?

I jumped the gun on one last year I don't have any pics. I hit blood and stopped a couple of hours but the membrane kept drying and sticking so I kept helping with the membrane. When she hatched the yoke was gone but there was a huge bump at the lower abdomen and was she bleeding a lot for a duckling. A little blood is a lot even in adult birds. I thought it was going to die so I brought it outside in the warm sun to help dry the blood which it did then put it in the incubator for a while. the bump went away and she is alive today.

Update: he wanted out of its ‘shell’ around 2am and did a lot by himself. I helped with a q-tip and warm water on the spots where the membrane was stuck. Put him back in incubator with bottom half of shell still on. He pulled himself out If the whole thing within 5 min. I moved him and another one that hatched to the brooder around 7am. The second one seems ok. The first one is super lethargic. ☹️ Any help appreciated!!!

Attachments

• 4AAFC237-892C-42A8-B13A-74675459CAAE.jpeg
    4AAFC237-892C-42A8-B13A-74675459CAAE.jpeg
    384.8 KB · Views: 10
Update: he wanted out of its ‘shell’ around 2am and did a lot by himself. I helped with a q-tip and warm water on the spots where the membrane was stuck. Put him back in incubator with bottom half of shell still on. He pulled himself out If the whole thing within 5 min. I moved him and another one that hatched to the brooder around 7am. The second one seems ok. The first one is super lethargic. ☹ Any help appreciated!!!
Let it be, the one I helped last year seemed mostly dead for the first day.

Last edited:
I think you probably need to leave him alone to rest. He's had a hard time. I had a big assist last year and same thing as yours. I put him in the brooder by himself with heat and expected to find him dead in the morning. I woke up to a little duck running around the brooder. Be patient!

He cannot hold his head up and tips over on his back and then just lays there. His eyes aren’t opening properly, He squints. Is this wry neck or maybe just strained it from trying to hatch for two days?

Back
Top Bottom