hatching issues

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mahen8622, Jan 20, 2009.

1. mahen8622

mahen8622 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    KY
    Ok hypothetically speaking if i were to brake an egg on day 21 or a day after would it kill the chick inside of the egg?or could it survive if it was healthy????[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 20, 2009
  2. brooster

brooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    yes, you could still kill the chick on day 21 22 if its navel is not healed yet, it could bleed to death, they come out when they are ready. Sometime they can use a little help.

3. jab91864

jab91864 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2007
    Northern Michigan
    It could survive. You have to be very careful when helping a chick out of the shell that is having difficulty hatching.... if that is what you mean.

Start slowly and gently at the rounded air sac end. Do you hear any peeping ? Can you candle and see if the chick has broke into the air sac ?? Or are you just wanting to see if they are still alive because the hatch is over due ?? Any signs of life ??

I have helped and been successful many times. But there have been times when my good intentions only made things worse. If I think they are over due and not going to hatch I will usually open to see if I can find a survivor or figure out why they did not hatch properly.

If your temps were off (low) it could cause a hatch to be slow.....

Julie [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 20, 2009
  4. mahen8622

Jan 19, 2009
    KY
    well my embryos / chicks are stubborn they were due on sunday and three due on monday and no one is doing ANYTHING no pipps nothing. i candled one to see if i couold see anything its completely dark no light came thru at all im confused and dunno whta to do...

5. jab91864

Apr 3, 2007
    Northern Michigan
    Can you see the air sac at the rounded end of the egg ??

Julie

6. mahen8622

Jan 19, 2009
    KY
    i tried to hear chirping but nothing but silence my temp dropped last night but got it back up asap. so should i investigate or should i just leave them alone??? [​IMG]

7. jab91864

Apr 3, 2007
    Northern Michigan
    I would give them another day. If you are not hearing any peeping inside they probably aren't trying to hatch. Normally you hear them peeping or tapping on the shell.

Maybe they are slow to hatch. It's a very tough call when to help and when not to, but if they aren't doing anything I would give it another 24 hrs and hope for the best.

Is the temp and humidity good ??

Julie

8. mahen8622

Jan 19, 2009
    KY
    the temp is 100~102 the humidity is iffy though i have the things full of water in the bottom of bator but i dnt have anything reading the humidity

9. jab91864

Apr 3, 2007
    Northern Michigan
    Give it another 24 hrs and hope for the best...........

Too much humidity and they can drown. Too little and they dry up inside and can't move to zip out.

Good luck!!!!!!!

Julie

10. jab91864

Apr 3, 2007
    Northern Michigan
    Anything today happening with those eggs ??? [​IMG]

Julie [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by