Hatching log of a broody satin

Awesome pics! I can’t believe your girl is so chill with you handling the babies as they’re hatching!! Both times my hen’s hatch happened during the middle of the night so we saw nothing 🙁. Hope the rest goes smoothly!
I was up waiting at 2am 😬 and just got up at 5:30am to check... I couldn’t sleep well, even my dreams were about chicks (not) hatching, lol.

Paint is fine with me holding her chicks, but they peep (i would too if a giant flesh colored monster suddenly whisked me away from mommy.) and mommy would get anxious wanting to quieten them down, so I give them back pretty quickly.

Funny enough, #5 who I held a couple of times last night is chill with me now. She is also starting to explore. I should go hold the others more later 😁

And number 4 is out! The one that was left cold on June 1st

Just number 2 now...

Attachments

• F1F69F79-A4F9-432F-9044-7452B83B745C.jpeg
    F1F69F79-A4F9-432F-9044-7452B83B745C.jpeg
    306 KB · Views: 0
Amazing!! Sooo sweet. What made you choose Delaware’s? Just curious
Kind if an anticlimactic reason actually... the closest free hatching eggs were my friend’s chicken’s and she has delawares... 😅
next time I want to find some satin eggs or some other smallish bantam, i feel like Paint should have a friend her size.

Did you get a hatch?!

Last edited:
That’s great, I think they are considered “endangered“ as far as chickens go. Their colors should be similar to your mommas too! My Sunny is on day 15 today, getting closer! Hope my timing is right with these eggs, some of them started in a janky incubator and I transferred them to her on day 9. She’s such a great sitter, won’t budge even when her flock mates are sitting on top of her trying to lay an egg or eating watermelon right in her sight 😕

That’s great, I think they are considered “endangered“ as far as chickens go. Their colors should be similar to your mommas too! My Sunny is on day 15 today, getting closer! Hope my timing is right with these eggs, some of them started in a janky incubator and I transferred them to her on day 9. She’s such a great sitter, won’t budge even when her flock mates are sitting on top of her trying to lay an egg or eating watermelon right in her sight 😕
Oh, I read about that! they’re very pretty, but not a popular breed people want I guess. But maybe my friend chose the breed for that reason.

Day 15! less than a week to go!

the last egg is still yawning, pipped last night, so we’re coming up on 24hr soon. the other 5 fluff butts have begun exploring 🥰 momma is sitting tight

Oh, I read about that! they’re very pretty, but not a popular breed people want I guess. But maybe my friend chose the breed for that reason.

Day 15! less than a week to go!

the last egg is still yawning, pipped last night, so we’re coming up on 24hr soon. the other 5 fluff butts have begun exploring 🥰 momma is sitting tight
C’mon little egg!!!

Still 2 when I locked the coop up tonight. Dodo doesn't try to peck me at all when I touch the chicks. I hope she's protective of them to the other hens!
Yay! I was a little disappointed when I asked on here whether a tame hen will let me tame her chicks and a poster said they probably won’t.

But guess what, she does! And doesn’t seem to mind at all.

I’m waiting for the last one to hatch so I can play with them all!!!

:wee

Back
Top Bottom