Hatching log of a broody satin

Oh, it’s midnight here too. I’m in orange county, NY. We’re not too far from each other 😁

I thought your username looked familiar and remember your thread just now, it’s the candling one!

I keep telling myself to have zero expectations, that 6 chicks could come out of this or 0... but I still find myself hoping for a 100% healthy hatch rate 😅

Oh, it’s midnight here too. I’m in orange county, NY. We’re not too far from each other 😁

I thought your username looked familiar and remember your thread just now, it’s the candling one!

I keep telling myself to have zero expectations, that 6 chicks could come out of this or 0... but I still find myself hoping for a 100% healthy hatch rate 😅
Yes, and now I truly understand the meaning of the saying “Don’t count your chickens before they hatch!”. 🥚🐣🐥

Hubby took this picture through the pop door of Doris sitting this morning.

C48DDC92-F163-4C2F-8AAC-0F02DB2529AC.jpeg

Hubby took this picture through the pop door of Doris sitting this morning.

View attachment 2699718

Go Mama Dorris!
Do Marans go broody often?
I’m guessing Paint’s silkie and cochin genes are what makes her super duper broody 🤔

////////////////

6/2 - Day 9.5 Candling
(because i couldn't wait until this evening:oops:)

I see nice strong movement in 5 of the eggs. egg number 3, which was left out in the cold yesterday is either lethargic or not moving. The veins are still there, but I’m not holding high hopes for that one.

Here’s a video of egg number 6 kicking stong!

https://youtube.com/shorts/DILLfzepxOU?feature=share

Attachments

• 9478B8EB-4B1D-46B7-93C9-296FE1E23287.jpeg
    9478B8EB-4B1D-46B7-93C9-296FE1E23287.jpeg
    270.1 KB · Views: 5
Go Mama Dorris!
Do Marans go broody often?
I’m guessing Paint’s silkie and cochin genes are what makes her super duper broody 🤔

////////////////

6/2 - Day 9.5 Candling
(because i couldn't wait until this evening:oops:)

I see nice strong movement in 5 of the eggs. egg number 3, which was left out in the cold yesterday is either lethargic or not moving. The veins are still there, but I’m not holding high hopes for that one.

Here’s a video of egg number 6 kicking stong!

https://youtube.com/shorts/DILLfzepxOU?feature=share
My cuckoo marans are supreme broodys, & their olive egger daughters and easter egger grand/great grandaughters go broody multiple times each year too. Copper marans are also known to regularly go broody.

Egg #3 will hopefully soon resume obvious development. It may hatch a day or so later than the others. But then again maybe not, since some other eggs have previously gotten "left out in the cold" too. I wont be surprised if you get a somewhat staggered hatching, with some chicks hatching on day 20, with later chicks not making it out of their egg until day 22.

I have really enjoyed your progress reports and photos. Keep it up!

My cuckoo marans are supreme broodys, & their olive egger daughters and easter egger grand/great grandaughters go broody multiple times each year too. Copper marans are also known to regularly go broody.

Egg #3 will hopefully soon resume obvious development. It may hatch a day or so later than the others. But then again maybe not, since some other eggs have previously gotten "left out in the cold" too. I wont be surprised if you get a somewhat staggered hatching, with some chicks hatching on day 20, with later chicks not making it out of their egg until day 22.

I have really enjoyed your progress reports and photos. Keep it up!
I’m guessing daddy is an Amercauna or EE?

It was fascinating candling them today, as I can see the obvious size difference between the embryos. I have a mental image of it like a little race with chickies overtaking each other as they run to the finish line, lol.

Wow #6 is really strong!
Doris (Blue Marans with a black hackle) is 1y8m old. She’s only the second hen I’ve ever go broody and it’s her first time. I thought my broody this year would be Eggsmerelda my 3y8m old Buff Orpington. She has gone broody every year, twice last year. So I don’t have much experience with broodiness of Marans. Her sister is Blue with a copper hackles. Their cousin(?), Bunny, is a 2y2m old Black Copper Marans. Eggsmerelda was a viciously determined type broody. Doris seems more casual. She comes running when I scatter snacks but once she’s done she goes back to sitting like a flat pancake.

I’m guessing daddy is an Amercauna or EE?

It was fascinating candling them today, as I can see the obvious size difference between the embryos. I have a mental image of it like a little race with chickies overtaking each other as they run to the finish line, lol.
I’m betting #6 is the winner! What will you do with cockerels? I’m praying for pullets!

I’m betting #6 is the winner! What will you do with cockerels? I’m praying for pullets!
Haha, 6 is the biggest egg. Even though My friend tried her best to pick out Delaware eggs for me, she also had SLW hens, so there could mayyyybe be SLWxDelaware mixes.

Since I can't have roosters here, I've been thinking about the cockerels as well.

I'll put them up for rehoming on here first. And if no one wants them, I'll probably sell them on craigslist at 8 weeks for a nominal fee. (The earliest they can go without being in groups of 6). I would give them away for free, however I've read that a free price tag attracts shady people with nefarious intentions...

As for the females, I'm at max capacity with large fowl birds so there are two plans I have in mind.
Plan A, would be to return pullets to my friend who gave me the eggs, since she's looking to up her hen to roo ration.

Plan B, would probably be to give my 2 Orloffs away and take in 2 Delawares. But despite them not laying very often, and laying fairly small eggs, I love them dearly...so it's going to be a hard decision to make.

Back
Top Bottom