Hatching Marans Eggs

snaffle

Songster
12 Years
May 27, 2009
Illinois
I have a lot of problems once my marans eggs reach the hatcher. Are you using fine sandpaper to scratch off some of the coating? Do you have better luck raising the humidity higher than other breeds? Or lower? What humidity works best for you in the hatcher?
I can not do the dry incubating or dry hatcher because the natural humidity in my are would leave me with all dead eggs.

this is my first hatch with marans (Blue Copper) i set 6 and so far 3 are now drying still waiting on the others. I kept my humidity at 65-70% temp 99-100

they hatched on day 22 forced air

however i did open lid and removed the shells my humidity went back to 65

Hi, just finished my hatch of Marans. 13 out of 15. I incubate at 30% humidity, because dark brown eggs do not lose enough moisture to grow their air cells, and 99.7'F. I hatch at 65% humidity. Only 1 needed assistance because it was stuck in the narrow end after externally pipping.
IMG_0944.JPG

I have a lot of problems once my marans eggs reach the hatcher. Are you using fine sandpaper to scratch off some of the coating? Do you have better luck raising the humidity higher than other breeds? Or lower? What humidity works best for you in the hatcher?
I can not do the dry incubating or dry hatcher because the natural humidity in my are would leave me with all dead eggs.
I dry hatch my eggs, about 1/3 of which are Marans, and get so much more success than wet hatching. First time I hatched I wet hatched, and the air cells were dangerously small.

Back
Top Bottom