hatching meat chickens - question

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by tracylhl, Dec 14, 2011.

1. tracylhl

tracylhl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2009
    Myakka City, Florida
    I am getting ready to process some Freedom Rangers today. I'm trying to decide whether to hold back a few for breeding. My hang-up is that I only have one coop for my grown birds (layers and otherwise) and want to hatch under Buff Orpingtons. If I don't have them seperated as Freedom Rangers and knowing that their coloring changes with breeding generations, will I be able to tell which ones are meant to be meat in time to process them if I hatch them alongside layers and DP?

2. jessicayarno

jessicayarno Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    Do you have hens and a rooster that you plan on holding back? You should be able to tell by growth rate alone, they grow faster than a DP or layer.. I have some second gen. right now and they are way bigger than my DP babies were at this age.. Oh and they eat like little piggies too.. The only thing I heard, was not to have your layers start on the high protein feed that the meat birds require...

3. tracylhl

tracylhl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2009
    Myakka City, Florida
    Okay, that makes sense. Thank you. Your post on your 2nd gen. birds is what got me thinking about holding some back after I had already decided to freeze all of them. I'm glad to hear you're having good results. I think I'll try my hand at it!

4. jessicayarno

jessicayarno Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    Good luck and keep me posted..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by