Hatching mixed breeds

Pigfartsnchickensharts

In the Brooder
Apr 24, 2022
Good morning! First time incubating momma here and it's technically day 18 still on my incubator (after much deliberation, i decided on the dry hatch method). We went into lockdown yesterday and already have 2 chicks! It was determined earlier in a thread I posted that my roo is a mutt, but a beautiful one nonetheless. So I grabbed some eggs from each of my girls and couldn't wait to see what we would get! The first to pip and hatch was from my EE hen and I'm telling you I've never seen a more beautiful chick in my life. My EE hen is a beautiful silver and pastel colors while dad is black and what I would call lavender. This chick is covered in a silver and yellow fluff and I am in awe. My second chick to hatch was from my New Hampshire red hen and this little one is solid BLACK! I've still got 7 eggs to go. What breeds have you mixed? Which breeds were most successful? Has anyone had luck creating their own "super breed"? Any advice or knowledge is greatly appreciated!

I have a mixed flock, a large one - mixes of mostly RIR, BPR, and Black Australorps with a couple of EE's, a white leghorn, and an Ameracauna (sp?) thrown in for good measure. My roosters (were) a BPR and (is) a mixture of something from the above (he's mostly black with a generous and gorgeous golden mane and saddle). I have no idea which hen laid which egg - there are too many. I just gather up a good selection of healthy-looking eggs and incubate. I get what I get. And I am amazed at the variety that comes from this.

About half of the results this year are black, or various densities of barred black and white. The rest are: White with black peppering all over, White with caramel streaks, Cream with brown streaks, Gray with darker gray feather lacing (fluffy cheeks, must be from the EE), Black with gold or red streaks on the neck and back, and just a few Red with black or brown tail and wings.

Some of my black pullets have black combs and wattles, too (but none of my breeding stock do). Interesting side note - these particular pullets, all of them, are more skittish and fearful than all the rest.

Wow!! It sounds like you have a beautifully colored flock! I started small with only 9 eggs for my first incubation. Of course the goal is to add more layers to my flock and replace my roo as he is overly aggressive towards my famjam. My hens were given to me by a friend and were already laying when I got them. They are skittish and would rather not be bothered. I'm hoping that spending extra hands on time with these chicks will help.

Oh most exciting! I personally love mixed breeds. They seem the best of both worlds.
I raise primarily Brahma's. Love their dispos and looks but #1 roo's is 1/8 EE and still spins off some cheeks and blue eggers every once in awhile- I totally love that!
Well, this last hatch I did a few rsl x buff brahma and am excited to see what they do.
20220922_100731.jpg

My dark Brahma x rsl are fabulous.
20220831_163024.jpg
20220825_153018.jpg

My favorite (so far and don't tell my other girls 🤫) for personality and looks was from a Smoothie roo and a light Brahma
20210222_074622~2.jpg

Have fun! Post photos! 😁

I quite like my starcombs (spizhauben crosses). I've got 4 gals, 1 black and white, 1 barred (somehow), 1 mostly blue with orange and 1 mostly orange with blue
I'm fairly new to raising chickens. I started in November of '21. I'm not familiar with this breed but I will have to look them up! Im wanting to add more colors to my flock. How is their egg laying and would they make a good duel breed?

Oh most exciting! I personally love mixed breeds. They seem the best of both worlds.
I raise primarily Brahma's. Love their dispos and looks but #1 roo's is 1/8 EE and still spins off some cheeks and blue eggers every once in awhile- I totally love that!
Well, this last hatch I did a few rsl x buff brahma and am excited to see what they do.
View attachment 3270194
My dark Brahma x rsl are fabulous.
View attachment 3270198View attachment 3270205
My favorite (so far and don't tell my other girls 🤫) for personality and looks was from a Smoothie roo and a light Brahma View attachment 3270207
Have fun! Post photos! 😁
Wow! I am in awe of the colorings on your hens! How beautiful! I had a Brahma and she had the best temperament. Sadly I lost her to what I believe was e.coli. but she was beautiful and so sweet. Depending on how many hens I end up with from this hatch, I may add a few Brahma in the mix to get that sweet, docile temperament that I long for. Thank you for sharing your beautiful hens with me!

Back
Top Bottom