Hatching more hens. Not roosters

Rainwoman77

In the Brooder
Nov 24, 2020
I am wondering if anyone has some tried ways to get more hens when hatching in an incubator. I am getting 50/50 female to male. I have heard of storing eggs in fridge or at 40 degrees to get more hens and using round eggs. Has anyone tested these theories ?

Attachments

• A4102251-0538-4FF5-987C-90E5C9A0EE60.jpeg
    A4102251-0538-4FF5-987C-90E5C9A0EE60.jpeg
    194.4 KB · Views: 56
I am wondering if anyone has some tried ways to get more hens when hatching in an incubator. I am getting 50/50 female to male. I have heard of storing eggs in fridge or at 40 degrees to get more hens and using round eggs. Has anyone tested these theories ?
There have been multiple threads about this topic. Conclusion is no, this does not affect gender. Shape of egg does not either. Gender is predetermined. Would be great if these things worked, we would all be doing it! 😊

I have tried the round vs pointy egg theory. I hatched out 23 chicks and I got 9 hens. I put only the most rounded ones I had in the incubator and still got a bunch of roos. The hen already has every egg she's ever going to lay inside her and the sex has already been determined. You need to find a hen that lays primarily hens. Not like all mine. They go broody, hatch out mostly roos and then get so offended when the roos try to breed them. I try to tell them to stop hatching out roos but they don't listen to me.

The round versus pointed egg claim is about the most ridiculous thing that I've found that people still believe. Absolutely no truth to it.
The cooler storage temp claim was brought about from a long ago study that as far as I know hasn't been duplicated in any recent studies. IDK.
It doesn't produce more females but it was said that the cooler temps killed more of the male embryos then it did the female embryos so naturally more females made it to hatch.
There is nothing you can do to hatch primarily females. If there was all the hatcheries would be doing it.

We did the rounded egg thing and hatched 80% female. The hens in the coop (no egg shape selection) hatched 50/50. I'd try it again.

Back
Top Bottom