Hatching Muscovy X Khaki crosses, need help!

Woohoo! I just turned them all so the largest part of the air sac is facing up and the other end is as pointed as down as it will go while they are on their sides. Humidity had jumped to 70 when I got home and was going to take out some water tonight but I guess that should be good now. Anything I'm missing??

When I was candling it I saw a protrusion that looked like what I'm assuming was a beak (just like all the pictures of internal pip) but it would recede just as fast as it would push on the membrane...

They can kick pretty good for a week especially with Muscovy in the mix. I think you look fine and everyone has pretty good advice. Remember duck eggs are TOUGH so you will see some wiggles and rolling with not too much cracking at first. The humidity jumped because they are breaking through but remember that it can be a slow go for another 3 days, maybe not, but don't panic if it does. They are coming and you don't want them to come early, wet, and still attached to the shell (bellybutton). Get those plugs out if you have any in.

Last edited:
I'm on day 26 right now with khaki eggs too! It's my first time incubating duck eggs. Mine have been rocking around a lot since yesterday, but it seems to have slowed down a bit. I heard some pecking a couple hours ago, and what sounded like a faint whistling. Nothing else is happening though. My temp is at 99.5, humidity at 70.

Good luck with you babies!!!
pop.gif

Huh, interesting. I didn't know scovies and khakis could breed! I wonder if they'll be sterile like most mules? I guess a few months down the line you'll know if you go to make an omelette and find it only has the white, hehe!

Please let us know how the hatch goes, I'm very curious to see what the lil' fuzzbutts will look like! Sounds like one definitely is internally pipped, mine would do the same vanishing act when I shone the light on them. "Ack, Mom, lemme sleep, I'm tired from this hard work!" :p Sometimes they'll even react when you try cooing at them, either by wiggling or peeping! <3

Huh, interesting. I didn't know scovies and khakis could breed! I wonder if they'll be sterile like most mules? I guess a few months down the line you'll know if you go to make an omelette and find it only has the white, hehe! 

Please let us know how the hatch goes, I'm very curious to see what the lil' fuzzbutts will look like! Sounds like one definitely is internally pipped, mine would do the same vanishing act when I shone the light on them. "Ack, Mom, lemme sleep, I'm tired from this hard work!" :p Sometimes they'll even react when you try cooing at them, either by wiggling or peeping! <3
I read somewhere that they have a low fertility rate, around 30-40% but of the 15 eggs I set, 15 were fertile! It was a mix of mothers though, some khaki, some pekin, and some muscovy. So far 3 have not made it for one reason or another but the 12 left are alive and kicking! I will definitely keep you posted! I am just as curious to see what comes out!

Back
Top Bottom