Hatching my first duck eggs... cayuga and crested whites

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by LovinMyPeeps, Jun 19, 2010.

1. LovinMyPeeps

LovinMyPeeps Sees Wine Dots

Mar 22, 2009
    Heuvelton, NY
    So I have my first batch ever of duck eggs in the bator. Temp is holding steady between 99.7 and 100 and humidity is at 78% I'm on day 26, is there anything else I need to be doing for these guys? I've hatched oodles of shicken eggs, but never ducks. I want to be a good duck mom! [​IMG]

2. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Sounds about right. Good luck!! Did you candle before locking down? If they haven't pipped, you can still do this. I like to look and see if any of them have their little bills in the air cell--if they do, you'll know it's 24 hours or so before they pip externally. I also like to trace the air cell with a pencil, so I know how large it is and where it's located. Then I can position the eggs so that I can see when they pip (they nearly always pip inside the air cell).

Finally, it gives me information I can use later. I have discovered that my hatches are much better when air cells are large. This information helps me modify my incubating practices to achieve the air cell size I want.

Of course, if it's your first time, then you probably aren't worried about that so much yet, and you don't need to. It's just something I like to do.

What you *do* need to worry about is not worrying, lol. That is to say--chicken eggs hatch much more quickly than ducks. From the time that my ducks pip the outer shell until they hatch is usually about 36-48 hours. If you get worried and try to help them before that time, they will hatch premature and have a harder time.

Have fun!!!

3. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    Yay! [​IMG] Good luck with you'r hatch. [​IMG]

4. LovinMyPeeps

LovinMyPeeps Sees Wine Dots

Mar 22, 2009
    Heuvelton, NY
    Quote:Thanks for the info! If I saw a 24 hour old pip I probably would have freaked! I didn't recandle because I candle all of the ones I put in and they all had active movement. I figured that was good. The idea of marking the air cells intrigues me. This is my last hatch this year, but I'll put that in my "hatching book" as I think it's a really good idea for the chicken eggs too! It would give me a good idea whether or not the hatchling is in trouble.

I cant WAIT for these ducklings [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by