Hatching newbie.

Excitement from yesterday is somewhat down. I live in what was an agricultural community. I say was, because for a large part it went from that to a dying community. The young people largely moved away, leaving their parents to grow old. Over 3 generations being self sufficient has gone from a way of life, to something smelly and noisy that your bad neighbor does. This morning, my neighbor basically told us if we don't get rid of our chickens, she will. I know it is city code - an unenforced code dating back over 50 years, Longer than the almost 50 years we have the house I grew up in - definitely longer than I have had her as a neighbor. FWIW there are several hundred backyard chickens scattered within a few blocks of my house, plus occasionally some backyard horses, sheep, and cattle. That said, we must have progress... Our city code is designed to be enforce upon complaint. We have been warned the complaint is coming.

I was worried about the race to update my brooders and building some portable pens at my ranch. Now it looks like I am going to have to get the flock out of town as well. I know it can be done - but it is still very depressing. I wanted to keep this flock in the backyard where I could better manage predators. Moving it to the ranch was at best on the 3 year plan and 3 year budget. I spent most of my free time the last 7 months getting the backyard coop and run where I want it now.

Oh well, time to focus on building faster. Will eventually ask God to forgive my neighbor, because I am not emotionally able to do it myself right now - right now my thoughts towards her are not neighborly or charitable.

---
To speed things up, I bailed on the brooder build and picked up a Craigslist find instead - 4hr drive latter problem solved. Seems that the son of the man I got the brooder from is dating my neighbors daughter. WOW, small world.

Well here is the funny part. When I went to the ranch the next morning to check out gate widths (really want to be able to move the tractor through gates), looked at the "incubator" in the back of the barn. Now that I have a Brower Brooder - did not take much to recognize that the "incubator" was a Montgomery Ward Brooder. It is in fairly rough shape - and parts are missing. Still it will be a fun project some point down the road. Main thing missing are the walls, feeders, and waterers.

Anyway, my wife's Easter chicks have a new grow out home until space is needed for the hatch.
---
While working on the new coop, had a hen commit suicide by dog. Will be continuing to work on protecting the chickens from themselves and securing the chicken compound.

Last edited:
My chicken yard currently has an 8 ft high fence around it (4' welded 1"x2" and 4' of chicken wire over that). On the bottom is another 18" of horizontal 1"x2" to keep the dogs from digging. In a 20'x30' yard, the chickens decided to put their dust bath in a corner - and the chickens started digging. I had not done anything to keep them from digging out (only to keep the dogs from digging in). The chickens managed to dig 6-8" under the walls of the fence-and under the horizontal wire outside the yard. Best I can figure is once they were under the horizontal wire, they pushed right on out - pups were waiting. I can not blame dogs for being dogs - just the chickens didn't have to try SO hard to play with them.

I now have about 100 lbs on the horizontal wire near the dust bath, and cut a tire to hopefully get them to move the dustbath from the wall.

Wife's chicken math had already happened - she got 4 Easter Eggers for the kids when our Easter hatch-a-long failed.
___

On a positive note - the hatch has been a success so far. 48 eggs set, 6 clears, last count 38 live chicks. DW will be doing a sweep of the incubator this morning to see if any of the 4 late eggs have finished up. Have about another 50 in stages - oh the chicken math.

Last edited:
Just a quick, belated update. First hatch turned 6 weeks this weekend. They are in 2 grow out pens. Oh my the little T-Rex's have grown. I think I heard one roo trying to crow already... Took a bit, but the brooder and grow out pens horizontal nipple system was "finished" about 2 weeks ago. They are drinking a gallon a day right now..

The tractor pretty much got it's wheels attached yesterday. I am a few bolts short - so will get that finished and the roof on this next weekend (along with an electrified perimeter fence. The boys will meet Mr Tao (or at least his capon tools) next weekend, and the great migration/musical pen game shall begin.

The second hatch had a much poorer hatch rate - third hatch was dismal. I think we simply did not care for the eggs well enough before putting in the incubator. They are all still in the brooder - so they will be quite happy with the move to to grow out pens. 4th hatch was laid down 6/21 in the brooder (so is scheduled to hatch next weekend - also part of the musical pen game) - and the latest were put in on 7/4 (they are different breeds - my wife brought them home on vacation. Will see what 3 days in a car does to the poor eggs).

---
fwiw, I do fully intend to photo document the water system (now that I am happy with it), and the tractor design (as soon as it is assembled and tested). I am very happy with the waterier - and have high hopes for several design innovations (the roof ventilation and the lift system) of the tractor.

Last edited:
Been tinkering with the tractor for weeks now - but updates are winding down. Last week installed a 22 gallon automatic waterer - brute tub with horizontal nipples. The 30 (or so) girls now have a week worth of water and food inside. Probably will be moving a few of the capons in with them soon.

Last 2 jobs are to finish putting on the wheels (I have not installed the locking arms yet) and the compound irrigation system. It is way to dry for grass to grow - once the cistern and windmill are operational, I might try to water a bit so they tractor is moved to greener spots (and to water the spot they left to aid in recovery)

Anyway - The roof is at 45 degrees to aid in venting hot air. The ridge is vented, the tin is insulated (and vented). There are 4 full length roosting bars, plus 3 short rafters). 3 walls are 1/2" mesh floor to roof - with the north wall only being vented from 2' up.

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. Sounds like your incubation plans are going well. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. What kind of hens do you have?

welcome-byc.gif
Glad you joined us!

For most of the last year we had American Bress exclusively. We are coming up on our 1 year anniversary with them. I think I have about 30 pullets in that tractor, plus some layers, roosters, and capons in my coop. I honestly don't know what my wife has in the brooder/grow out pens at the moment - but I think it is 4 different assorted breeds (but mostly roosters).

Back
Top Bottom