Hatching on 5/17 or 5/19?

i too have a broody silkie sitting on a mixed batch of eggs due 5/19. This a first time for us. We are concerned she is not moving off the eggs to eat or drink. She is pooping on the eggs and they are nasty. Should we wash them? We have cleaned her bedding. Is there anyway we can tell if the eggs will produce a chick or just wait?

i too have a broody silkie sitting on a mixed batch of eggs due 5/19. This a first time for us. We are concerned she is not moving off the eggs to eat or drink. She is pooping on the eggs and they are nasty. Should we wash them? We have cleaned her bedding. Is there anyway we can tell if the eggs will produce a chick or just wait?

I am relatively new to this as well but I would not recommend washing them. Have you candled the eggs? With the candling I have done, basically after day 15, if they are viable, I have difficulty seeing through the eggs. As it is only 5 more days, I would probably wait.

Well so far 11 of 14 chicks have hatched and 15 of 19 poults. I put a few turkey eggs in with my broody to hatch for me til I made it to feedstore for some Rhode island red chicks. Anyway when I came home I found one that fell out of nest through a crack, and was cold to the touch and i though thought for sure dead. I put him in brooder under light and he's doing great now. I'm thinking that the ones I have left in incubator won't hatch though.

Last edited:
congrats on the new babies!!

Still waiting for my little buggars to show some sign of life. They were all wiggling at lockdown. I hope at least one hatches today since I lost my RIR pullet this morning :hit

Sorry to hear about your RIR. Hope the eggs all hatch for you.

5 for 5 on my full size fowl mix eggs. And it looks like one will be barred. WOOHOO. Unfortunately I lost one and almost lost another to an over eager hen. My fault really, as the fence to block the hen box wasn't sturdy enough. I was able to save one but not the other.

0 for 2 on my Silkie Eggs but I really didnt expect them to hatch as I had them stored in the fridge. Still have my fingers crossed though. I'll let the broody sit another couple days.

Now I need to take some pics...

Lets see, Here they are:

My wife calls this one Jr.

This last one is the one I was able to save.

Sooo cute! Nice save too!

middle of day 21 on the millie eggs here and one pip
14 mystery eggs will be starting day 20 in about 5 more hours.

36 Hours later, and both Silkie eggs hatched. Not sure what these two will grow into, but I think they are cute:

All of them together:

Anyone else have pics yet?

So so bummed only one d'Uccle has hatched the rest are about to be on day 23.

For the mutts :confused: day 21 and no signs of life yet.

Poor little Itty Bitty is so lonely. It's breaking my heart. None of the local feed stores have chicks left. I tested Itty out with the two week olds but ehh way to soon to mix them. Had to try though. Keep your fingers crossed! :fl

Back
Top Bottom