hatching out a conjoined twin?

sarahswank

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 25, 2013
Garden City, Kansas
I have a pullet that it is consistantly laying eggs with double yolkers. Not just any normal double yolker though. They are conjoined yolks. and both always look like they have 2 fertile spots (on on each). I am tempted to incubate them, but I want any ideas or theories on what I might get?

Here is a picture of a set of them (in a bowl with other eggs) I will try and get a new set of pictures in the next few minutes.

Curiosity would get me and I would have to hatch them out. What kind of pullet is laying these eggs?

We havent pinned down exactly who... but either a production red or a barred rock. Unfortunatly it still could be one of 34 chickens who fit that.....

here is the egg beside a normal egg. Definately bigger then normal, but not that big... I realize shell issues would be a problem...

When I cracked this one I accidently broke the yolk membrane on one side. I didnt realize it until now, but it seems like the yolk only came out of one side, It seems there may be a membrane between the two that is fused together... So two seperate chicks? It was definately two fertile spots one on each.

The bulleye is a bit wonky, but this particular egg had been in the fridge for atleast 2 weeks.

you can see how they are fused but look seperate. only one seems to be leaking.

. Pale yolks. Can be caused by:

- Lack of yellow to red pigments in the hens' diet. Hens who have access to the outdoors, green food such as lucerne and grass and hens who are fed maize will have deeper coloured yolks. Certain feeds contain additives, such as marigold extract to help deepen the yolk colour.

I can understand the curiosity - but I think a google image search would be good enough for me.

Why would anyone want to hatch chicks that would be joined together. To me that seems incredibly cruel.
I guess I never thought about quality of life beyond the hatch. More a curiousity right now anyways

. Pale yolks. Can be caused by:

- Lack of yellow to red pigments in the hens' diet. Hens who have access to the outdoors, green food such as lucerne and grass and hens who are fed maize will have deeper coloured yolks. Certain feeds contain additives, such as marigold extract to help deepen the yolk colour.
Not too worried about yolk color. They taste the same either way. My girls arent allowed to free range, never will be able to let that be an option.

Also I doubt the twins will actually be conjoined but twins deffidently
seeing as it look like only the membrane is shared, I wondered about just normal twins.

Back
Top Bottom