Hatching pea eggs using ducks

scootj79

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 29, 2014
Roscommon, MI
Ialways use my bantams to hatch my pea eggs but has anyone used ducks to do it? Particularly muscovies? Curious how your hatches went. I get out of fertile eggs basically 100 percent hatch right now but a bit low on my hen numbers considered my ducks just in case until I can up my banties again.

Ialways use my bantams to hatch my pea eggs but has anyone used ducks to do it? Particularly muscovies? Curious how your hatches went. I get out of fertile eggs basically 100 percent hatch right now but a bit low on my hen numbers considered my ducks just in case until I can up my banties again.

I've never done this, but I rather think the duck would hatch the eggs. After they hatch you would have to watch carefully as the hen might not accept babies so different from her own. Of course, you'd need to keep the duck away from swimming water. I have tried many cross specie hatchings. Almost always the babies were accepted as the hen's own.

I only tried a Muscovy duck hen one time with 8 eggs from 4 different peahens , not one egg developed but eggs from the same clutches did that i placed under my chicken hens
wink.png
i only caught that duck hen off the nest two times and it wasn't till the second time that i discovered that none of the eggs had so much as developed.. I have had Muscovy ducks end up with a chicken egg in their nest and it did hatch but that was a disaster as she left all the other duck eggs behind and took off with that chicken chick and i had no way to finish hatching those duck eggs as every broody hen and incubator on my place was full up
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom