Hatching peacocks

joe17

Songster
11 Years
Nov 25, 2009
Louisiana
I am hatching 9 shipped peacock eggs for my uncle in my brinsea. I was wondering are there any different needs for peacock eggs compared to chicken eggs? Is humidity the same? I know that it takes 28 days or something like that.

Keep the humidity at 60% for the first 26 days, then raise it to around 80% for the last couple of days. I have a automatic turner in my incubator, but it needs to be turned more than the turner does. I also turn them 180 degrees in the morning and night. On the 26th days I stop turning them, this gives the chicks the chance to situate for the hatch. Mine usually hatched on the 27th day. I hatched 13 out of 14 eggs using this method. Hopes this helps

Not having a clue what I was doing, I put some abandoned pea eggs in the incubator that was running for chicken eggs. So far four eggs have hatched and we have had one late quitter. Of the remaining three, I can still see movement. Our incubator has been running at about 55% until the last six days when the chicken eggs went into lockdown; I would bump the humidity up to 65-70% every time a pea egg pipped, and then pull water out again when the chick hatched. The temperature in the incubator has been swinging all over the place, down to 93.9 and up to 105.7 on one memorable evening (my husband got to witness me raging around the kitchen waving my arms in the air, I was so frustrated). But those pea eggs seem to be pretty tough. I think their greater size may help them resist temperature swings better than chicken eggs. Overall, I think I'm amazed that they have done so well. The four chicks are all different ages, but hatched out strong and without problems.

Best of luck with yours! Peas are a lot of fun.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom