Hatching percentage

Well............I just went out and candled the eggs.

And....THEY AREN'T EVEN FERTILE!!!
barnie.gif
barnie.gif
barnie.gif
barnie.gif
I'M SO TICKED OFF!!!!!

How can somebody sell "FERTILE HATCHING EGGS" and they aren't even fertilized??????? COME ON!!! Out of 7, I got 1 chick. 6 NOT EVEN FERTILIZED!

I'm so mad at mypetchicken right now I could just pull my hair out!

I usually get 89-100% with my own eggs. And as long as I get somewhere close to 50% from shipped eggs, I'm thrilled.

Shipped eggs I've done this month:
Naked Necks: 5% hatch rate My third try with NNs & that's the best I've got so far. I ended up losing that chick the next day
sad.png

Call ducks: 71%
Peafowl: 33% Just hatched out this morning; first try with peas was last month & I got 0%. Very proud of this one
big_smile.png

Polish: Started with 12; only 5 ended up making it to lockdown. One of those is pipped.
Silkies: Started with 12; only 3 ended up making it to lockdown. One of those just hatched.

Quote:
Let's get something straightened out here. Just because a shipped egg does not develop, that does not mean it was not fertilised. A fertilised egg that has been subjected to rough handling will most likely not develop; but that does not make it any less fertile, just shaken to death, which is something completely different and in no way the fault of the seller.

My own eggs are pretty much 100% fertile. I can't remember the last time I cracked one open and didn't see a bullseye. I have shipped eggs to various people, all friends, all\\ for free, so no need to tell lies or exaggerate about fertility, and thay have had mixed success, from 11/12 developing to 3/12 developing. And of all the ones that developed, not all of those made it to hatch...

Two weeks ago a friend of mine from a UK forum sent me 18 of his eggs, again completely free, and out of those 18 eggs only six developed. Of those six, only three made it as far as day 14. (I put in four eggs of my own as a control group, and all of them are developing as normal, so no incubation issues to blame.) When I opened the non-developers, all the yolks were burst. So I was fairly sure I could blame rough handling in transit even before he emailed me to say his own eggs were averaging around 75% fertility at the moment.

So don't be too quick to blame the seller. What you're experiencing is most likely is just the chance you take on shipped eggs...

Quote:
After shipping and incubation it's really hard to tell if they were fertile or not. Shipping does a number on eggs that can keep even a fertile egg from starting to develop.

Quote:
Let's get something straightened out here. Just because a shipped egg does not develop, that does not mean it was not fertilised. A fertilised egg that has been subjected to rough handling will most likely not develop; but that does not make it any less fertile, just shaken to death, which is something completely different and in no way the fault of the seller.

My own eggs are pretty much 100% fertile. I can't remember the last time I cracked one open and didn't see a bullseye. I have shipped eggs to various people, all friends, all\\ for free, so no need to tell lies or exaggerate about fertility, and thay have had mixed success, from 11/12 developing to 3/12 developing. And of all the ones that developed, not all of those made it to hatch...

Two weeks ago a friend of mine from a UK forum sent me 18 of his eggs, again completely free, and out of those 18 eggs only six developed. Of those six, only three made it as far as day 14. (I put in four eggs of my own as a control group, and all of them are developing as normal, so no incubation issues to blame.) When I opened the non-developers, all the yolks were burst. So I was fairly sure I could blame rough handling in transit even before he emailed me to say his own eggs were averaging around 75% fertility at the moment.

So don't be too quick to blame the seller. What you're experiencing is most likely is just the chance you take on shipped eggs...

SOOOOO......I went and cracked the eggs open......and sure enough.....it was a yolking mess!! WOW! Amazing that one made it then...huh?

Well...I'm new to this hatching eggs received through the mail thing.....NEXT TIME I will try to find someone local and just go and pick them up. I just can't afford to spend that kind of $$ on eggs to only get 1 chick out of the bunch.

So, I apologize if I offended anyone. Mypetchicken did an excellent job with the packing. I'm sure the post office has so much going on they just aren't able to be careful with the eggs. Lesson learned.

Thanks everybody.

Well, I'm fairly sure you didn't offend anyone here, but, umm, I sure hope you didn't email the seller to complain about the 'infertile' eggs
wink.png
And don't worry, it's an easy mistake to make when your eggs show absolutely no signs of development. But don't be soft on the post office - most of us agree that they could usually do a whole lot better with parcels that are clearly marked 'FRAGILE' in big red letters! And yes, you'll probably have a much better result with eggs you can go pick up yourself. Good luck with your next hatch!

Quote:
I have had some pretty poor results with eggs travelling through the postal system, even special delivery manage to tumble the eggs about en-route ; my success rate or should I say failure rate is a pathetic 15% at best , although that persentage doesnt run true across the board . eg. Dutch breeds (small neet hard shelled eggs ) high hatch rate ' Silver laced Wyandotte ( my favourite breed ) week shelled , highly bred , ??? whatever ; 8-10% so , what to think ?????

Quote:
OH NO! Bet you were devestated about the duck eggs..... I just don't get it! Every single egg we get from our chickens are fertile!! EVERY ONE!!!! So, why when you receive via mail, some aren't fertile??? Are there not enough roosters in the pens with the hens??? I just don't get it!!!!!

I'm already crying about my eggs. 1 chick. That's it. $55 chick at that. And I had to hatch it myself. I really, really, really wanted a few Ameraucana's. I should be grateful I have the one. Today I ordered 8 Maran hatching eggs. Depending on how it goes, I might not be buying any more hatching eggs. Which, my fiance knows I'm upset ,and says, "Oh we can order more Ameraucana eggs"......but I'd have to wait all over again........Oh well.

Thanks though.....golly 12 eggs and none hatched....WOW!

Are you wanting chickens or just wanting to hatch them yourself? Have you ever considered just buying baby chix via a hatchery (i.e. McMurry's, Ideal, chickensforbackyards.com and etc.)? Get the kind and usually the sex you want and then when they start laying then you can put those eggs in the bator to satisfy your hatching fix.

Back
Top Bottom