Hatching problem

laney7

In the Brooder
May 16, 2017
Southwest PA
I had one chick that had a dime sized hole pecked out of her shell but seemed to be having problems getting any further. In the evening I went to close up and the mom had pushed the egg out to a corner of the nest and it was cold and still hadn't made much progress. I got her out of the shell and brought her in under a light but there was a lot of blood on her near the umbilical. Suggestions?

I had one chick that had a dime sized hole pecked out of her shell but seemed to be having problems getting any further. In the evening I went to close up and the mom had pushed the egg out to a corner of the nest and it was cold and still hadn't made much progress. I got her out of the shell and brought her in under a light but there was a lot of blood on her near the umbilical. Suggestions?
All kind of things can be wrong for this to happen. One question is how did you know it was partly hatched before mom pushed it out?? Are you looking under her in this critical time of hatching?(Yea, I know some say it don't hurt their hatch to look) Mom hens---well all of my 150+ broody hens in 3 seasons alone(3 seasons I have kept track)---Lock down----"stay" on the eggs the last 2 or 3 days to build up the moisture for the hatch---if you tilt/look under them some of this moisture escapes. Maybe its just my area, but I learnt a long time ago to Leave them alone during this time---I rarely have a fertile egg that they don't hatch---that's a lot of eggs----close 1500?

As far as your chick---with my incubator hatching I cull if I feel its best----if it looks like it stands a good chance---I work with it. Good Luck!

I'd put it under the mom and hope for the best. With broodies hatching I leave it to them and clean out the nest once they walk off it with the healthy chicks in tow.

All kind of things can be wrong for this to happen. One question is how did you know it was partly hatched before mom pushed it out?? Are you looking under her in this critical time of hatching?(Yea, I know some say it don't hurt their hatch to look) Mom hens---well all of my 150+ broody hens in 3 seasons alone(3 seasons I have kept track)---Lock down----"stay" on the eggs the last 2 or 3 days to build up the moisture for the hatch---if you tilt/look under them some of this moisture escapes. Maybe its just my area, but I learnt a long time ago to Leave them alone during this time---I rarely have a fertile egg that they don't hatch---that's a lot of eggs----close 1500?

As far as your chick---with my incubator hatching I cull if I feel its best----if it looks like it stands a good chance---I work with it. Good Luck!

Yes I did take a looksie. I have been getting some bad advice from a guy that I thought knew what he was doing. It makes sense now that you explain it that the humidity is so critical to the hatching process. This is my first go round and I don't usually let the hens lay on eggs.

Back
Top Bottom