Hatching Problem

RollTideChicken

Songster
Mar 21, 2017
North Alabama
Can anyone give me their opinion about the attached pic. What is left of the shell has a very wet look to the membrane. I'm not a very experienced hatcher so looking for advice. The humidity since day 18 has been 65 - 80%. I just bumped it up to about 80% thinking that might help. Yes I have a calibrated gauge.

Attachments

• 20180324_155037-1.jpg
    20180324_155037-1.jpg
    735.4 KB · Views: 14
I bet she 'fell back inside'. I'd lift the shell off her head.
Probably take out of bator (quickly so as not to lose humidity) and work on it under a warm lamp, then put her back in bator.

I use a light like this to keep warmth on egg, and to see well, while assisting.
Egg shell just there for affect, not and active assist.

upload_2018-3-24_19-6-28.png

Thanks all!
I did end up helping. The membrane around the wings had hardened. There was some odd color under it like gelled blood but hard and it had her wings glued to her head. Which is odd because unless the humidity dropped magically while I was at work, not sure how it happened.
What I did was went to the closest bathroom turned the shower on hot and the sink on very warm. Got the room hot and steamy and brought in the little one. I let the steam work a bit then I had a rag soaking in hot water, ringed it out and wrapped her. Then with wet hands I began slowly peeling the softened goo, making sure not to let water run down to her beak. This took about 20 minute (I think) but felt like forever.
I put her back in the bator to dry but she never "fluffed," so this morning I made sure she was dry and put her in the brooder with what I hope is her sisters. She is more fluffy now (see pic) but not so much as her sisters.
Here's hoping that she's not "special" and grows up to be a beautiful hen.

Attachments

• 20180325_111354.jpg
    20180325_111354.jpg
    414.9 KB · Views: 10

Back
Top Bottom