Hatching problems

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by Smalltowngirl38, May 5, 2017.

1. Smalltowngirl38

Smalltowngirl38 New Egg

Mar 4, 2017
    Ok I'm new at hatching Guinea fowl and its day 30 today and no piping. I'm having a issue with the incubators humidity. It isn't wanting to stay up. Any idea on what I should do please?

2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    To start with are you Sure you are on day 30? Some count the day they put them as day one----day one is the next day after you put them in.
    What kind of incubator are you using?
    Is it a proven hatching one or a new or one you have never used?
    Does it have a built in meter or are you using another meter inside and do you know if it is accurate?
    Have you candled the eggs---if so when was the last time and what did you see?
    What was your humidity the first 24 days?
    Humidity is controlled by the water surface---going up or down should not be a lot if you got the amount of water surface you need. If you are wetting a rag or similar---then it dries and then you wet it again----yes the humidity will go up and down a lot. With my incubators every time I look at the humidity reading----it might be up or down a point or so but not a lot. If you are on day 30---something is wrong and I would slightly open it enough to pull a couple eggs out and candle them slowly and see if there is any movement. Some water test them----float the egg in water---when it settles see if it has movement---water riffles every little bit if it moves? If you see no movement withby candling or water testing----they are probably dead----give them another day or two and if there is no movement--discard or do a eggtopsy first.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by