Hatching Pullet eggs?

ChicksR4Me

Songster
11 Years
Dec 1, 2008
North East Indiana
Since I've been reading this website I have been wanting to hatch some chicks. I've made a incubator with a styrafoam cooler from the instruction on here and it's ready to go now. My chickens are 8 months old and from what i've learned on here they look fertile. They have the white ring on the yolk. Is it possible to hatch pullet eggs? Or do I need to order eggs from someone that has older birds. Thanks :)

pullet eggs can be hatched but sometimes they are to big for the egg and have probs turning in the egg. The only prob I have had with them is more then usual bottom of the egg pippage. Most still hatched but had to assist more of them.

You talked me into it!!
big_smile.png

How do I choose which eggs to incubate? I'm thinking on putting in about 10 for my first time in hopes of getting at least 1/2 of them to hatch. Of course it would be nice for them all to hatch but I know that is unlikely. Also.. I was thinking it would be good to start them on a Friday so that day 21 would be on a friday that way I would have the weekend to watch them since I have to work during the week. Maybe they should go in on thurs night? Hmmmm I just don't know. It's so funny that my 17 year old daughter thought I was crazy to be making an incubator.. Now she keeps asking me when i'm going to start it! lol I know she can't wait either.
jumpy.gif

I've always heard two reasons why you shouldn't hatch pullet eggs...

1.) because you shouldn't breed a pullet to a mature rooster to begin with. Their bodies aren't fully developed enough to sustain the weight of the rooster, and there is a higher risk for injury.

and

2.) because pullet eggs usually aren't at their full size potential, so as someone has already said, the developing chick will be in rather cramped quarters and can have problems trying to hatch.

With that being said. I recently hatched the first 3 eggs that my Serama hen laid. They were fertile, and I wanted to see what would happen. The first chick to hatch was really weak from struggling out of the shell, and ended up dieing. The second chick to hatch, was strong vibrant and very spunky. The third chick... we'll never know cause my incubator shorted out, spiked to 120 and fried the eggs...

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
So do you think it would be better for me to use the larger eggs? Some are huge like super jumbo and they are double yolkers so they would probably not be good but some are good sized eggs without being too huge. Maybe those would be best?

Quote:
The rooster is the same age as the chickens and they have been breeding regularly for awhile now. He is bigger than them but I believe that is because he's male. They were all the same size when I got them.

I have a batch of pullet eggs under a serama hen right now, the eggs are TINY. I realize they may need help getting out of the egg and some may not make it but its an experiment for me so i say go for it but just don't get your hopes up too high
big_smile.png

Quote:
Thank you! I will hope for the best and prepare for the worse. I'm going to make sure I don't use the tiny eggs. This week as they lay I will choose the larger eggs but not the super jumbo eggs and pray they do well.
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom