Hatching Rare Chicken Eggs: HELP!

SMS

In the Brooder
Mar 5, 2021
Hi, I am currently trying to hatch some rare chicken breed eggs, and am looking for advice from experienced breeders! I currently have a Golden Laced Polish and an Ameraucana, both of which have been throughly bred with Plymouth Rock and silkie roosters. The two hens have mated to the point where a few of their back feathers are missing, and they are now separated from the roosters. Now I’m trying to collect fertile eggs, and am looking for any tips. I am currently keeping the Polish and Ameraucana hens in a small chicken coop with three nesting boxes. Other than feeding and watering the hens, is there anything else I should do to ensure I receive fertile eggs? Again, any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

If they successfully mated with the roosters, you will get fertile eggs. There is nothing special you can/should do to get fertile eggs.
I would either make or buy some hen saddles for them so they don't get too torn up by the roosters.

Have you only got the 4 chickens in total? If so then they are probably overmated and you need one less rooster or many more hens. But you probably know this already.

The majority of the eggs, if not all, are likely to be fertile. Are you going to let the hens brood them or use an incubator?

What is the rarity of the breeds or am I missing something?

Hi, I am currently trying to hatch some rare chicken breed eggs, and am looking for advice from experienced breeders! I currently have a Golden Laced Polish and an Ameraucana, both of which have been throughly bred with Plymouth Rock and silkie roosters. The two hens have mated to the point where a few of their back feathers are missing, and they are now separated from the roosters. Now I’m trying to collect fertile eggs, and am looking for any tips. I am currently keeping the Polish and Ameraucana hens in a small chicken coop with three nesting boxes. Other than feeding and watering the hens, is there anything else I should do to ensure I receive fertile eggs? Again, any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
You have quite the mixture of breeds. You only need one rooster for two hens. It is also better to try and mate similar sized breeds. It has to be pretty rough on your polish supporting a Barred Rock on her back. Depending on the size of your silkie rooster. He may not be big enough to mate with large fowl hens. If you only have one proper sized rooster for the hens you have. You can just leave him with the hens. Then just collect your eggs daily. To put in an incubator or set under a broody hen. Knowing that they are more than likely fertile.

Back
Top Bottom